Will porting stock manifolds make my exhaust louder?

phils89sc

I did this while I had them off doing my head gasket swap. The car seems louder at idle than before. Anyone ever experienced this?

It shouldn't make it louder. It sounds like you have an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifolds.

I agree....

I swapped from stock (unported) to ported manifolds, but it was with a totally different engine....the exhuast did sound different. I wouldn't think that ported manifolds only would do anything with the sound though.

Ok, maybe louder is not the term I was looking for. The exhaust note has changed a bit, more of a rumble than before....

No. It is normal for people to imagine changes after doing work of some sort. It is also normal for unrelated things to impact results so as to confuse the source of the change. Like for example, a muffler filling up with water will change the note. Or a mouse. Or rust. Or any number of other possibilities.

Unless you create an exhaust leak during the porting process, it is impossible for the "note" to change just from that. Look for some other cause.

No. It is normal for people to imagine changes after doing work of some sort. It is also normal for unrelated things to impact results so as to confuse the source of the change. Like for example, a muffler filling up with water will change the note. Or a mouse. Or rust. Or any number of other possibilities.

Unless you create an exhaust leak during the porting process, it is impossible for the "note" to change just from that. Look for some other cause.

So I guess it is either psychosomatic, or I am crazy!!! :)

Back