PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips/Tricks/Procedures for Cam Sensor Replacement?

SNX212
10-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Does anyone have any tips/tricks/procedures for repalcing a cam sensor on a '95 SC?

bowez
10-07-2010, 11:29 PM
If your just replacing the top all you need is a 7/32 socket. Nothing to it.

If pulling the whole assembly I get some paint and mark the positions of everything.

Mike8675309
10-08-2010, 09:07 AM
be cautious so you don't break the clip off the connector for the sensor. Do the job when the motor is cold, otherwise everything near it is very hot.

helps if you are using 1/4 drive sockets and have a short extension and maybe a swivel. Depends on how everything is lined up.

tedallen
10-09-2010, 08:57 PM
be cautious so you don't break the clip off the connector for the sensor. Do the job when the motor is cold, otherwise everything near it is very hot.

I broke the clip off the wiring harness connector when taking mine off for the 3rd or 4th time. The heat makes those darn plastic clips so brittle over time that even being careful is no guarantee they won't break.

As for the sensor, when you remove the top check for black flakes of debris down beneath it. I think they (at least some of the aftermarket ones) start breaking down internally somehow and leave little bits of material inside which cause the CEL code for the CAM sensor to be triggered. I cleaned mine out and went a long time before it came back again. When it did, found debris again and went through the cleaning process again. Finally it really did fail and I replaced it (I think that is when I broke the clip on the connector).

Best Regards,

Ted

Torino Cobra
10-13-2010, 03:43 AM
TRY THE SEARCE FEATURE OF THE FORUMS! there is a artical uner the faqs section on it! also dozens of posts. Its not really hard, and when I replaced it on my 90 it ran smooth as glass!! As the owner of three S/Cs the search feature is my best friend!!