Cummins / Holset turbos?

92bird

Has anyone thought of using a Holset turbo on a Supercoupe?

I like the fact that they are so durable, and can be had relatively cheap. Makes for an affordable DIY turbo conversion.

Which one would be best suited for our engines? HX-35, HX40, H1c, HE351, etc..

I purchased a Garrett T3/T4 50 trim, with .63 A/R exhaust housing before I knew much about turbos, but I don't think that's the ideal turbo to run on this car (too small). However, I do not want to go too big, this is for the '94 SC (daily driver now).

I really like the Bullseye / Borg Warner S256 turbo for a quick spooling street setup, but that turbo is not.. cheap..

Thoughts?

Jeramie

Last edited:
i've got a borg warner GM8 turbo from a 6.5 diesel. thought about it as one. flows enough for ~400 hp. i'd have to go find the specs.

h1c

I have an H1C lying around for cheap! It will come with an extra compressor wheal and housing. PM me if interested it came off a 93 Cummins with 89xxx miles on it. It has a 18 cm2 non waste gated turbine housing on it. In the truck it made 25 psi all day long and capable of much much more.

I know Ive heard of the four banger guys using them with success. If i were in the turbo feild id say the HX-35 or the HE-351 would be the best. There super tough and they will handle anything our motor would throw at it. I would stay away from the older turbo's because they arent efficient as the newe set-ups. The HE-351 would be the best IMO.

I can't speak directly apples to apples here... I'm running an HX35 on my 2.0 Mitsubishi. When it was all hooked up, it started to spool about 3500. Running up to 22 psi, they can flow enough for 500awhp on our little 4-cylinders.

I think for a supercoupe, it would be on the smaller end of the spectrum.

I found an HE351cw with low miles in great shape for $325

Looks like that might be the ticket.

If it spools quick and can make 350rwhp a a mostly stock 3.8L I'll be happy.

This is just a fun DIY project, with a low budget. I can do all my own welding fabrication, and basic tuning with the old school EEC tuner.

Looking at doing a 94 SC shortblock with stockish 96 3.8L heads (light porting), comp 105 springs and retainers, and a mild turbo friendly cam (perhaps SSX turbo cam or the like), and of course a FMIC.

Jeramie

Back