How many quarts of oil?

Condor232

I have a 94 motor, stroked to a 4.3L, and also have a 4.2L F150 oil pan. I am guessing 6 qts would be appropriate. I have it filled with 5 now, just want to know before startup what amount should be in there.

With the limited information you provided and assuming that you are talking about a 3.8 with a 4.2 oil pan I would say 6.1 quarts. I looked up the capacities of a 2000 F-150 4.2L and it calls for 6.1 qts. Put 6 quarts in and see where it indicates on the dipstick. I would think that unless you put an extension on the oil pickup for the larger (deeper ?) oil pan that the oil level on the 3.8 dipstick should be the same.

Actually, since the "FULL" mark is set by the windage off the crankshaft, wouldn't it be OK still?

I'd get it above the "Add" mark anyway, especially if you didn't use a deeper pickup (and if you didn't, why did you add a deeper oil pan? Don't know if you did or didn't, just wondering.)

To the "Full" mark, then first crank, and see how much the filter soaked up.

RwP

The reason for the deeper oil pan is because I have a main girdle and main studs. I needed a pan that would fit, and this one did. The oil pickup I used is for a 4.2L F150 as well. In addition, the usual SC dipstick wouldn't clear the main girdle, when I tried to bend it I broke it. So I used the 4.2L f150 dipstick, which was too long for the SC tube, so I cut it.

Thus the "FULL" mark will not work, thus why I am asking the question.

As I said in the first post, I assumed 6 qts, but was looking for someone to chime in.

Seeing as you have an odd ball motor/pan combination, none of us are really going to know. I assume you are using a Mustang body, since we can't use any other pans that clear the Tbird K member. This is something you should have measured when the engine was on the stand instead of now to see what the fill level in the pan is.

Back