JBL Sound System problem

1sicbird90

When I bought my 90 SC the radio did not work at all. With the factory headunit I would get a slight static sound after replacing the fuse in the power distribution box. I thought that the headunit might be bad so I decided to throw a pioneer in that I had laying around and now I get absolutely nothing at all. After reading several threads about the JBL sound systems and the types of problems it has it seems that I have to do something about the CD player in it. From what I read if your player wont take a cd and is bad, you will get no radio at all. Now heres where I need your advice, do I have to get this CD player repaired to use an aftermarket CD player or is there something else that I can do. Thanks guys all input is welcome and appreciated.

... add a bypass harness around the amp in the back, or rewire for the speakers.

Oh, and pull the subwoofer, the rear amp, the head unit, and the CD unit and ship them all to me for $50 :p

(Truthful on the pull them all and store them - just kidding about the $50. Unless you really want to ... )

Another choice would be to pull everything, ship it to Paul Protos (TwoTimeSc) and restore it to better-than-new performance. When in good shape, the JBL system sounds pretty darn good (better than most heads/amps that cost what Paul's repair costs ... )

RwP

thanks for the input fellas, I finished wiring in the aftermarket headunit and pulled the cd player down below, unhooking it and still nothing. I then decided to look at the amp and see if it was getting warm or had a reset or even a blown fuse on it and nothing so im at a loss for the moment....a bypass was mentioned but im more of a visual guy and would have to see what you mean rather than be told how to do it and hope for the best lol. If there are any good sites for this by all means let me know. Thanks again for all the input it is greatly appreciated

thanks for the input fellas, I finished wiring in the aftermarket headunit and pulled the cd player down below, unhooking it and still nothing. I then decided to look at the amp and see if it was getting warm or had a reset or even a blown fuse on it and nothing so im at a loss for the moment....a bypass was mentioned but im more of a visual guy and would have to see what you mean rather than be told how to do it and hope for the best lol. If there are any good sites for this by all means let me know. Thanks again for all the input it is greatly appreciated

A bypass harness.

At the amp, you unplug both connectors, plug the bypass harness in place of the amp, and presto.

An example (and a darn good place to buy it!) is at http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705004/Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=736 . Notice the harness on the left? It bypasses the amplifier, allowing the head unit to drive the speakers.

Now, if your head unit has no amplification, since the JBL amp is balanced line (not unbalanced, like an RCA jack), you'll need to wire some adapters up to drive it.

Also, depending on the year, it might be 5V or 12V for the amp turnon signal.

I'd just bypass if it were me.

RwP

the cd player has nothing to do with it ,on my pioneer supertuner i had to run new speaker wires to the trunk and splice them in where they came out of the amp . and also make sure the memory fuse is good under the hood or radio wont hold time on the clock

YES! AND YES! You can replace the crystals in the original CD player for it to work again. The earlier players were not designed to play burnt CD's. After playing many of them I discovered that. But, the cost is prohibitive. stereo/ CD players have come light years ahead since the early nineties. Buy the new one.

YOU MUST buy the compatible adapter harness to connect the new stereo into the old connection harness. IF YOU DON'T. the wires will melt or it just won't work. SEE AMP.

And, finally, I do remember when my CD player stopped working the stereo wouldn't either. I mean, it worked if you turned the volume all the way up. Then, I could faintly hear it. You shouldn't have to re wire anything if you're still using the old amp. Which is why you need the adapter harness!

Since you have pulled everything, have you considered selling the bits and pieces here on SCCoA?

If you didn't cut up the CD to head unit harness, for instance, there's some that would want that with the "dead" CD player. Paul Protos, again, can work wonders getting it back up for those of us who actually prefer factory for whatever reason.

RwP

I would certainly consider selling the cd player, head unit, amp and sub...who ever wants it can make an offer.

No one told this guy his root cause issue. My lower CD player spits out Cd's but plays them every one and a while even burnt ones. My head unit is funny and sometimes sounds weaker on one side and then comes to life. Mostly the CD just spits it out. I use an FM modulator with my Ipod or Pandora off my phone. It sounds good.

I got the amps I took out of my 89. They worked when I pulled them. If you want them they are yours, just pay shipping.:)

Both amps? Do you also have the sub?

How about the head unit?

For shipping, I'd be interested - all but the sub could be sent in USPS Flat Rate boxes (or maybe even FedEx flat rate boxes).

RwP

Both amps? Do you also have the sub?

How about the head unit?

For shipping, I'd be interested - all but the sub could be sent in USPS Flat Rate boxes (or maybe even FedEx flat rate boxes).

RwP

I only have the amps to give away, the head is gone, I think. I do have the sub, but I have repaired it and I wanted to use it in my bird, but say ten extra buckes I guess I could send it with the amps, if you want to pay the extra shipping cost, or you can pm me with any queations. If you were next door I would tell you to come and get then. I am easy to get along with. More or less.:)

Last edited:
Back