SC Perspectives

Mike8675309

I found a new issue of Car Craft in my mail box today and as I was paging through it I found an article about a build up of a Brodix 540 cubic inch motor. It made 630hp and 630ft/lbs an an engine dyno. total cost of the build was around $16,000.

If you look at at the Shootout results (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116826) we have stock V6 SC blocks with SC heads (some even with SC intake manifolds) hitting nearly the same if not BETTER numbers than that at the REAR WHEELS!

I don't know how much SC folks are spending on these motors, but I'm pretty sure it isn't $16,000. If it isn't clear I want to make sure those people responsible for pushing the limits of these motors know that I greatly appreciate their work. Those that work on the cars, develop the parts, and pay for the cars to be worked on and the parts to be developed.

The SC powertrain has come so far that we now have folks arguing about if they would dare to let their care go faster than 11.5 because they don't want to put a cage in the car. Some of those very people, and others just a few years ago were hoping to just break into the low 12's, now their worried about low 11's.

It is amazing how far we've come and really begs to wonder, how far can we go? Considering all the misc small issues people ran into this year, I expect 2011 will be a shakedown year for the SC crowd and we'll see even more high powered cars that can hang in stop and go traffic with the best of them.

Primary difference is society wants instant gratificaiton - thank goodness we have our group of diehards! Years ago saying you made 400rwhp would have made you a troll and ban status.

-Tim

Primary difference is society wants instant gratificaiton - thank goodness we have our group of diehards! Years ago saying you made 400rwhp would have made you a troll and ban status.

-Tim

Haha, I resemble that remark. :p I remember when I was ridiculed for claiming 313rwhp.

More to answer Mike's post, after about $10,000, you just can't really spend a lot more on an SC engine because the parts aren't available at any cost. The rest of it is up to forced induction to complement the motor. Casey's turbo system can be duplicated for about $4500 including all peripherals to make it work.

But that's forced induction. Forced induction on V8's are capable of the 2 cyl extra, or another 250rwhp or more so you really have to keep all of this in perspective. We are just starting to "come of age" so to speak. It's about time. :)

I think the main reason we are able to make so much more power than we could 10 years ago, is the ability to properly tune these cars for bigger and better power adders. Twin screws and turbos are providing the additional air, but without the tuning ability we now enjoy, they would be useless.

David

Back