Pics of paint job progress

90turbo1

So getting car ready for my friend (master auto painter for 10 years at local body shop) to paint.

body is stripped of all ground effects and glass (except for rear glass). there is some work to do i must admit.

but getting the car painted for the cost of materials is a deal if I ever saw one.

here you go I will post as we go.

Attachments

• new phone pics 127.jpg
    new phone pics 127.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 336
  • new phone pics 275.jpg
    new phone pics 275.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 354
  • new phone pics 277.jpg
    new phone pics 277.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 338
  • new phone pics 279.jpg
    new phone pics 279.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 350
  • new phone pics 280.jpg
    new phone pics 280.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 339
So getting car ready for my friend (master auto painter for 10 years at local body shop) to paint.

body is stripped of all ground effects and glass (except for rear glass). there is some work to do i must admit.

but getting the car painted for the cost of materials is a deal if I ever saw one.

here you go I will post as we go.

having it paint white again?

yes, not the same white that the car came in but the same white my 1999 Ford truck is painted. I think its called performance white. just looked a bit crisper to me when I saw them next to each other.

here are some pics of the car in color.

1 coat sealer
3 coats color
2 coats clear.

what do you guys (and girls) think of the white I used. Much nicer than the yellowish white it was from the factory

Attachments

• random new stuff 031.jpg
    random new stuff 031.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 327
  • random new stuff 032.jpg
    random new stuff 032.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 309
  • random new stuff 033.jpg
    random new stuff 033.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 329
hmm strange, when I look at pics it looks like there is spots all over the paint but in person there are none...

strange

yes, I will, the ground effects, hood, rear bumper cover, front bumper cover are getting painted this weekend. then all the fun trim gets put back on.

are you doing this in your garage? have any problems with dust/particles getting on the car?
I was going to ask the same thing. Also, what about overspray? You got some stuff laying around the garage...
What gun did you use?

Last edited:
are you doing this in your garage? have any problems with dust/particles getting on the car?

Well we did get a few things in the clear, on top of trunk but it will sand out and be fine. the over spray got everywhere, we covered the crap in the garage with plastic and wet the floor. it worked pretty good, just had to make sure the onlyone in garage was us.

not sure on the gun but he was saying it was his clear gun from the place he works at so I should feel special that he was using it for color. he was protecting it like it was his first born.. ha ha

one thing we did was put the compressor outside and just had the hose coming into the garage. sealed all doors and windows to prevent air movement while in garage and wet cleaned floor and such. worked really good.

we will fix the few spots on the clear and cut and buff that thing it should look like a white mirror.

If you look at trunk lid pics you can see the light bulb in ceiling and the reflection is almost perfect.

here are some more updates..

installed the side glass and window trim. Tinted the glass while it was out. and glued in the new windshiled..

Attachments

• 2388.jpg
    2388.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 2389.jpg
    2389.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 263
  • 2390.jpg
    2390.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 287
  • 2391.jpg
    2391.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 255
  • 2392.jpg
    2392.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 307
here are some more updates..

installed the side glass and window trim. Tinted the glass while it was out. and glued in the new windshiled..

Man that paint job turned out really nice, I have a 1990 SC that looks just like yours in pre paint condition and you have certainly inspired me to get off my butt and get working on mine. I really like that brite white that you used because i had thought about going with that pearl white paint but not after seeing how your's turned out.
The one question I have is regarding the hood and front / rear bumpers, was it easier to get them painted off the car because of the design of them and did you paint the inside of the doors/door opening.
I would really like to see some pics when your totally done.
Great job. :D

Bill

the car is currently in my friends garage and we are waiting for the warmer weather to come back. so no further progress yet.

i will post more pics when we start work again.

Back