Problems when hot

Shaguar

My SC seems to be having two recurring problems once it heats up

1. It has a hard time starting once it heats up. I'll turn the igintion and the fuel pump will come on but it wont crank. After awhile of continually turning the ignition it'll slugishly start up, rev to about 1200 (normally when its cold it'll rev up to somewhere around 1600) then it'll come back down to idle.

2. It pretty much hits a wall at about 4k rpm. It'll rev freely when its cold but when it heats up it'll rev to 4000 rpm and has an extremely hard time reving higher till it hits about 4500 then it seems to rev freely past that. I can get it to go past that 4000-4500 range in 1st but in any other gear it'll hit 4k and just wont go past it.

Ive changed the plugs thinking it might help but it didnt and the only mod it has is a k&n panel filter.

I'll try and get a video soon to show whats going on.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jordan

There are some generic things to think of. If everything was working right, and then I started to notice your #2 issue, the first thing I'd look at is fuel filter. If the fuel filter is old it may be restricting fuel flow that isn't noticed until you get into the hire rpms where demand is high.

Your first issue is likely due to either:
1) Bad ignition switch.
2) bad battery cables.
3) bad cable or connection at the starter.

I would start with checking the connection at the starter for the cables, make sure it's tight. Then inspect the big cable that comes from the starter and goes to the battery for any problems. Then make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight.

change your cam sensor. i had a hot start problem in my 95, and that fixed it.

or plug wires could be a likely culprit causing the loss in power, had this issue with the 95 also. not sure on the starting problem though, starter solenoid maybe?

Last edited:
I have found that just starting to change "suspected" parts out on these cars only leads to wasted money and the same problem. Its so easy to pull the trouble codes. It wont always lead you to the trouble, but most times it will. These cars were some of the first production cars to use a lot of the modern engine controls used on all cars today, so they have a lot of bugs that show up. Before I spend any money on the expensive parts on my cars I try to accurately dignose the problem. the SEARCH feature here on the forums is always a good place to start after I pull the trouble codes. I just search for the symptoms I am havin and usually some one has already asked the question and it has been andswerd and thy resolved their problem, clueing me in as to what to do with out wasting my precious money and time. Good luck with your car. Thats good advice bout the electrical system needing good power for everything to work. I bought my first SC in 2001 and it ran like crap till I cleand all the electrical connection I could find , Esp. the grounding wires, ran like a champ afterward!!

Back