ok guys. help needed.

fordemt

I decided tonight that my dad and I would just fix the supposedly blown head gaskets instead of paying someone else. I got the charger and intake off today. my dad thinks the intake gaskets because there was a lot of watery oil in the intake valley. They did look blown near the water jackets. I just want to be sure its not head gaskets before putting it all back together. Is there a way to tell with the intake off whether it was the intake gaskets or the head gaskets? I don't want to replace head gaskets if I don't have to. I also don't want to tear it all back down. Oh. And the last intake bolt on the passenger side in the rear was covered in oil. Is this normal? Thanks guys.

not really if you have the motor apart there is no reall 100 percent way to check head gaskets.

if you have the intake off allready you are right there, might as well throw some good gaskets in the heads and some head studs. (for god sakes throw away the old head bolts except for 1, it will be used for a tool).

might as well fix it correctly while you are in there. I bet you and your dad would curse the day ford built that car if you put it all back together with new intake gaskets and started it up to only find the head gaskets are bad.

these engines are matter of when, not if the head gaskets will blow. take care of them now or you will be back for them anyways.

Well, I decided to just try intake gaskets first. I know its stupid but it only costs 20 bucks and 2 hours of my time. If this doesn't work then I'll tear it all down. It honestly didn't take much time to take apart. So I figure it can't hurt. Any ideas on how to get the intake gaskets to seal well?

Intake gaskets are pretty much a standard issue, I haven't had any issues getting them to seal. If I were in your shoes, I be much more concerned with what the antifreeze did to the bearings....its not pretty...be sure to change the oil a couple times if it turns out the head gaskets are ok........Dan

definitely change head gaskets!!!!!!the oily stuff on top of the maniold could be normal blow-by leakage...

CHANGE HEAD GASKETS TOO!!!!!!!!!...with felpro MLS and you'll probably never have to do them again...check your head surface too with your at it.

This is classic SC mistake to just try less work...it usually = failure :( sorry

I'd listen to what these guys are telling you.....

Now is the perfect time to do the HGs.....:D

If you don't, they will blow out during the coldest time of the year.....:mad:

NASTY OIL STUFF ON TOP OF LOWER INTAKE COULD BE SUPERCHARGER OIL TOO IF THE SNOUT IS LEAKING....

my headgaskets were not out but had rod knock. so when I removed the blower the top of intake right under blower was coverd in some sort of oil/water/who knows what mixture there.. it was coming from supercharger and washing motor is all I could come up with.

do the headgaskets now and do it right, and never go in there again for that problem.

also you can have manifolds ported when out. another known bad spot on those engines.

.. you could always do a leakdown or compression check before you pull the heads off. If you do remove the heads, make sure you have them checked for flatness and cracks .. dont just throw some gaskets on it and call it a day.

- Dan

Well I would do a leakdown test but the problem is the intake is already off. Is there a way to check with intake off? Also the machine shop guy said clearly the intake gaskets are shot. And the car never smoked out the tailpipes. That's the only reason I don't think its the hgs.

actually a leakdown test would be nice with the intake off cause you will really be able to hear leaks coming back throught the intake runners...wouldnt hurt to do that first

Alright. Had the intake checked by a pro and he's saying the intake is flat but that from what he can see, the gaskets around the water jackets were bad. The two back ones were gone and the two front ones were heading there. The intake wasn't tight at all. So in go the new gaskets in a few days. Wish me luck that this is it.

good luck...I would still do leakdown at least...and intake bolts only get torqued to something like 15ftlb...not tight at all otherwise it lifts the heads and I heard something a while back about it tweaking the main caps or something

when you reinstall the intake, here is what I did.

i first layed the gaskets on the heads and then used silicone rtv on front and rear block. place the intake on carefully and double check that the gasket didnt slide down any. clean threads on all bolts (they are different lengths so dont get them missed up.

use a dab of thread sealer on each one and install them. Torque the bolts in the required sequence to 1/2 torque. then follow with full torque. I then let the intake sit for a few min and checked torque again. like most they were not at 15 anymore (probably because of gasket relaxing a bit) i actually torqued them three times at 15 ft lbs. till they maintained the torque.

others on here have had different experiences.

hope that helps

The intake gaskets seal best if you just installed new HGs! ;)

HA HA HA HA !!

I THINK EVERYONE HAS TOLD HIM THIS NOW...

I mean to each his own, but with this many people telling him to replace headgaskets and just wanting to do intake, I just cant wrap my head around this. its a common known fault with this car.

And I used to wonder why everyone said they were such piles when I was looking for one.... do it right the first time.

I know I'm stupid for not doing the hgs now. But just hear me out. Im doing all the labor myself and intake gaskets are only 20 bucks. I have plenty of time because this is not my primary vehicle. If I do this and it doesn't work then I'm only out 4 hours and 20 bucks. Doesn't that sound like a better idea than just throwing 200 plus dollars at it?

Back