PDA

View Full Version : 89 SC trans issue

briansc88
10-11-2010, 10:20 PM
hey guys this may be the worst question ever asked on this website but i have an 89 SC as stated and need to replace the trans its an automatic i just need to know which one.What came stock in theese cars in 89 the 4r70w?
Thanks in advance

DemonSC
10-11-2010, 10:56 PM
It's an AOD. I suggest getting it rebuilt with better parts and add a transmission cooler.

do a search you will find A LOT of information.

Hiram K
10-12-2010, 09:16 PM
The AOD is notorious for it's shortcomings. The overdrive band is very weak, rebuild time. If you just got the car, be prepared to work on your brake system also; another fun job. Trust that didn't scare you. :-)

Torino Cobra
10-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Check the FAQS section and do a search for TRANSMISSION, lots of good tips. When rebuilding an aod I always have the OD band from an aod-e installed along with the drum from an aod-e, way bigger od band. to hard to change to a later electronicly controlled trans.

old_coot
10-13-2010, 09:55 AM
The AOD is a fine transmission, especially when upgraded with the aforementioned AODE parts necessary to add the 2 inch OD band and mechanical diode. the worst thing about them is the stock torque converter is known to balloon at high rpms and damage both the transmission and engine thrust bearings. If you want to abuse it spend the money to make it bullet-proof. ....Dan