PDA

View Full Version : ECC Floor and Vent Button dont work

Torino Cobra
10-12-2010, 02:05 AM
When I try to run the self test on my 93 SC's ECC I cant cause display is blank when I push the Vent or Floor Button.
The problem I am having is that the Cool Hot buttons dont affect the temp of the air coming from the system. The numbers in the window change, but the air temp does not.
The numbers in the window dont change if the button for vent or floor is pushed as they dissaper when I push either button.
Iwould suspect the air blend door control motor, but dont want to chang it if I am not sure its the prob.
I read all the posts a search will bring up on ECC or Climate control (and its obvious that many people dont know how or dont care to use the search feature, there were over ten questions asking if u could change auto and manual systems for each other) and there is nothing there to help me.
Does the IRCM by the right headlamp have anything to do with the ECC? I think a previous owner changed it before I got the car.
I will get cold soon and I need heat in this SC, I dont want to have to resort to good ol rigging to hold the blend door open!!
Every thing else seems to work correctly with the ECC, the fan controls, auto or not, and the ac and def settings make air blow out different places.
Thanks for any input u guys may have. Im gonna read all the posts about the ICRM now to see if has anything to do with the ECC.

Torino Cobra
10-12-2010, 07:05 PM
I read all the threads about IRCM and all about IRCM. Three hours. Checked all the connections I could find in dash. still no heat! HELP! (maybe I will just sell all three of my SC's and buy a chevy truck!!!)

the-big-e
10-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Try changing out the fan control module on the fan enclosure located behind the glove box....

Torino Cobra
10-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Fan works fine, only thing that doesent is that the air temp remains the same, the dispaly changes from 90 to 65 but air temp doesent change. cant run the self dignostic as explained. When the numbers change in the display I think I can hear the moter running. Does the shaft to the blend door somtime break? ?I dont want to blindly just start changing out componets, I have owned my three SC's to long to try that goose chase. I am just looking for some suggestions as to what to try. Is the fan module the control box for the whole EEC? I think it said so it said that in the posts I read last night. I read them ALL. I NEED HEAT! I guess I will have to resort to wireing the blend door open till I can figure it out!!

tedallen
10-12-2010, 10:48 PM
I have the same problem on my '94 SC which has a different style climate control module. I ran a test on it (a Ford tech gave me the magic key sequence which I can't recall now) and it called out a code for blend door problem. No matter how I adjust the temps up or down the air temperature stays the same and for the most part so does the air velocity coming out of the vents when in "Auto" fan position.

I'm not sure if the blend door motor is vacuum or electrically controlled. I did pull out the climate control module once and remember seeing a number of vacuum lines coming off the back of it. However, I haven't found a diagram documenting which ones go to what components (ie which one is the vacuum supply line and which ones get vacuum applied to them by the climate control module to regulate temps.

talonhead
10-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Do you have manual a/c or automatic climate control EATC?
If you have EATC, it could be the Blend Door motor. Mine has 2 codes for it. I haven't pulled out the dash to check it. It's the component that is not vacuum actuated. I was in Virginia and it got cold and I had no heat to defrost with so I pulled the a/c clutch elec. connector off. Trying to find a replacement is not easy.
MikeH

91 XR7
10-12-2010, 11:52 PM
What do you mean by the display goes blank when you press the Heat or Vent buttons? Does the system shut off?

Also if you can hear the blend door operating, but the temp doesn't change then chances are that either the gears are striped inside of it, or the shaft itself is broken..

you SHOULD be able to get a hand on it through the Glove box (opened all the way down) and be able to feel if the shaft for the blend door is turning or not. May not be extremely easy to get too, but SHOULD be possible?

Torino Cobra
10-13-2010, 03:19 AM
when in max ac, ac, floor/ef, and def the temp numbers show in the display. when vent or floor button is pushed display goes blank, hence the inability to run self diag. test. I just dont like to start replaceing parts without knowing for sure what it is. but it has to be the elec. actuater moter on the blend door or the control unit or the control head or all of them. Im going to the j yard tommorow and should be able to get one of each.
I was so sure I had read a post in the past about IRCM and EEC functions, so if I can find a SC of the right year I will try to get one of those too! (this cars IRCM was replaced before I got it and the previous owner says thats when the heat quit.) Thanks for the answers to this post and the good advice. I just got to have this heat fixed soon, as I only have three SC's running and like nasa if you want to live the dream of driving a SC you better have redundancy!!! I would hate to have to resort to driving my Torino Cobra, the price of gas is why I bought a SC in the first place, I needed better gas milage, but didnt want to give up that thrill of leaving the stoplight ahead of everyone!!

91 XR7
10-13-2010, 09:56 AM
If the system is shutting down (IE no fan operation) in Vent or Floor, then i'm going to say that the control unit is having issues itself, may be able to take it apart and just clean the contacts to get those two to work again.. I'm certain that Floor and Vent positions are the ones used the most in these cars, since every other position turns on the AC. Heck i know i'm like that :o

Torino Cobra
10-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Correct IRCM from a 93 SC with Electronic Climate Control fixed it right up!!
I dont know what that ~~~ has to do with the ECC, but it must be something!
Thanks for all the advice and help. I couldnt keep my SC's running without tis forums search feature and yall!

S_Mazza
10-13-2010, 06:17 PM
It's possible that a relay for the blend door motor is contained within the IRCM. I don't know, as I never had that system. Glad it is working now!