Water pump bracket

sccrewzer

I was on my way to work today and notice steam coming out of my hood so i pulled over and seen that my water pump was leaking:mad: I remember doing it a long time ago and remember i hated having to remove the intercooler and power steering pulling to get the pump off. My question is it neccecary to keep the bracket that connects to the water and power steering pump?
Sorry if this has been asked before but i'm at work and have little time to search.

A lot of SC owners have left this bracket off without adverse effects. I believe the Ford engineers put it on for a reason though.

- Dan

It was probably there for NVH (noise / harshness / vibration) issues that won't be noticeable in a 20 year old car without it.

cheers
Ed N.

I have a theory behind this.....:rolleyes:

At the time these cars were produced, mechanics were the only people that had the power steering pump pulley removal tools.....

If you had some kind of water pump / timing cover issue, the only place that could work on it was the dealer....:mad:

Toss it in the trash along with the nut and stud on the back of the driver's side head that secures the fuel rail.

David

I keep all my stuff on in the original condition for it's intended design. But, I have to wonder if the above theory isn't that far off for that particular bracket. Odd way of designing it.

Back