PDA

View Full Version : best plug wires HELP ???

EatonEmployee
10-14-2010, 12:52 PM
F4PZ-12259-J
I am told this is the OEM replacement. It gives no MM. I am looking for the best plug wires. Preferably marked 1-6. Accel? I had someone put 8mm motorcraft but the part number didn't match and they are not staying snapped on the coil pack. I also am deciding to go with the autolite xp103 gapped at .046.

Any suggestions would be soooo appreciated. I was a 13 F-16 mechanic for the USAF and this is the only time when small hands are a good thing. lol.

Any help guys. I found a website that has a set for 42 bucks. The wires. I know the new 504 motorcraft plug at .054 are preforming bad and are not a good replacement for the douple p's original. The supercharger blows them out. I am also going a degree cooler for obvious reasons with the sc. I am then going to chip it to get my fans to come on cooler and optimize performance etc. I am new to the SC game.

Oh, one more question. Is it normal to have dimples in the sway bar cradle or U right under the oil filter. There are 3. Is it damage?

Lincoln (just back from iraq and too tired to figure all this out)

David Neibert
10-14-2010, 02:08 PM
I like the Taylor wires...very durable at a reasonable price. The number listed below is the direct replacement part number from Summit (red). They are also avalible in blue.

#TAY-74269 red w/135 degree boot 8MM spiro pro direct replacment.

David

Raymondo
10-14-2010, 05:53 PM
I purchased a set of Taylors....lasted about a year. I would go with Magnecor or MSD at least 8mm,8.5mm or possibly 9mm. Or Ford Racing.

The Magnecor part numbers are:
8mm - 60138 $93.00
8.5mm - 65138 $144.00

Ford Racing, through JEGS, is about $50

WhiteThunder
10-14-2010, 06:49 PM
I had a problem with Magnecor wires staying on the sparkplugs. Wrote to Magnecor and received this response back ...

To: "Edward Donato" <>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: I'm not thrilled

This is common with Super Coupes... the wires are extremely difficult to
fit (probably amongst the most difficult that I know of) and it is very,
very easy to damage them while being fitted, which is what you probably
have done. This problem is caused often by overuse of silicone grease
inside the spark plug boots - but damage is the most likely.

Our wires do fit fine and do not inherently vibrate off the spark plugs
(otherwise other Super Coupe owners would not be recommending them and we
could not actually sell a product that does this) - if you send us the
wires we should be able to repair them.

It is possible you have bad wires (although very unlikely for more than 1
in the set, but anything is possible), in which case the bad wire or wires
are under warranty.

Steve Brown - Magnecor (Michigan, USA)

I switched to Taylor. No problems.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Shinerstang
10-14-2010, 07:03 PM
I had a problem with Magnecor wires staying on the sparkplugs. Wrote to Magnecor and received this response back ...

To: "Edward Donato" <>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: I'm not thrilled

This is common with Super Coupes... the wires are extremely difficult to
fit (probably amongst the most difficult that I know of) and it is very,
very easy to damage them while being fitted, which is what you probably
have done. This problem is caused often by overuse of silicone grease
inside the spark plug boots - but damage is the most likely.

Our wires do fit fine and do not inherently vibrate off the spark plugs
(otherwise other Super Coupe owners would not be recommending them and we
could not actually sell a product that does this) - if you send us the
wires we should be able to repair them.

It is possible you have bad wires (although very unlikely for more than 1
in the set, but anything is possible), in which case the bad wire or wires
are under warranty.

Steve Brown - Magnecor (Michigan, USA)

I switched to Taylor. No problems.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

I guess you need to go back to spark plug wire school.....:confused: Why would he even blame it on you? That is bad customer service......

Raymondo
10-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Well that is bad customer service. I do not know why my Taylors died but they did...maybe a bad set? Right now I am running Autolites....think I will try Ford Racing next.

XR7 Dave
10-14-2010, 08:57 PM
I use the old wires other people throw away. When one starts to misfire I go to the pile of old wires and grab another one. I have 4 SC's and I haven't paid for a plug wire in years. Some of my cars are even fast, occasionally. ;)

I like how the dude at Magnacore says silicone lube in the boots causes problems. That's a new one to me. The biggest problem with any plug wire is that people aren't careful about how they install and remove them. Another big problem with SC's is jamming the wires up against one of the many obstacles and sharp objects next to the wires. I've seen more damaged boots than I can count. Well, maybe not that many.

Also, some wires don't fit the coil pack very well. Some wires (like MSD) look real nice, but the ends are sharp and won't go into the coil pack. I've had to take a piece of sand paper and smooth the edges so they don't bind up. If they bind and you push hard anyway, then the wire can get shoved back into the boost resulting in intermittent connection or none at all.

Most all the wires I've come across work great. I've used all the brands. Some of the coil end boots kind of bug me, but I get over it. Patience is a virtue.

Crash00527
02-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I guess you need to go back to spark plug wire school.....:confused: Why would he even blame it on you? That is bad customer service......

guess i wont be purchasing this brand anytime soon lol