stupid CAC question.

dexter302

On my rockcrawler swap, just curious, is the charge air cooler nessesary or just a good idea?, The reason im asking is the lower charge pipe is hitting my steering column and the cooler is hitting the steering box (will post pics later).
I know it will be better with it, but im haveing a hard time finding a cooler that will fit where i need it to. And i have to make a new tophat fr the charger and have the upper pipe go to the p/s of the rad ( the new cooler will be infront of the rad, not beside, no room, so it will be p/s inlet, d/s outlet) So untill i get one custom made, it will be a while. The engine will see full boost applications, 15 psi maximum. but only for the winter. The new cooler will be in by summer... New to boost, please dont flame me. dont feel like melting the pistons over something stupid.. Any other info is appreciated...

you can. but your charge temps will be through the roof. especially with overdrive. you should look into a custom FMIC setup or methanol injection.

Your going to be looking at around 560cfm with 10% OD at 5000 rpm's. There is really is no point in going any higher with a stock blower because its not going to get any more air to push through and its just going to pump alot more heat.

As for an IC, the general rule of thumb in the "industry" with forced induction is if your making more than about 5-7psi of boost, its time to run an IC because of the heat generated. Your blower is going to be putting out temps over 300F with 10% OD and 13psi of boost so you need to decide if that is what you want going into the motor.

Alcohol injection is one way to cool the charge down. If your winters are cold and you are not demanding boost for any length of time, but in short bursts when you need it, it would be ok with the alcohol I think, but don't run 10%.

Fraser

Probably isn't getting much cooling from the air to air IC on a rock crawler, unless the IC has a large fan attached. Really need an air to liquid IC for that application.

David

Back