ok crank sensor is DONE!!!!

JStickley

the crank sensor is finally done and i apprciate all the help from all ya guys.. it was a pita.. but i got through it even tho it took 3 days of severe cussing and throwing of tools.. but its all str8 now.. anywho.. thanks again guys..

now the other problem im faced with.. is the tranny.. i cant tell if it is slipping or if it ihas a stall convertor in there... when it hits 2600 rpm it locks up and goes and is strong.. in all gears, od d l, but doesnt do it in reverse.. any idea's or am i looking to replace that also?!?!?!

thanks again
Jesse

Well congrats and you're welcome.. It IS a PITA, but then again most jobs on the SC all seem that way. Every job seems to start with "remove upper IC tube and power steering pump pulley".

As far as the torque converter, the stock units were not stall converters. I'd suggest you check the tranny fluid with the engine warmed up and running on level ground. I've had problems getting the fluid topped off correctly with just even the slight slant on my driveway, and when it was 1qt or more low, it acted like what you're describing. Fixed my major leak which was the cooling line rubber hose part and its been working a lot better. And yes, while it seems like it should have been a simple job, it took longer than I thought.

ill check that out today.. ive been running it for a few hours at a time to make sure it doesnt overheat.. and it has a slight miss iono if that has anything to do with the crank sensor or not.. but ill deal with it if it is.. the only time im going back down there is if i ABSOLUTLY must go back there becuase of the cranksensor failing
.. and i hope that doesnt happen while i still own the car.. or ill be extremly pissed.. but im guessing this one lasted 127k.. thats how many miles are on the car.. but ill check the tranny stuff today.. thx guy for the help and the pissin match :))

Jesse

can anyone describe the procedure to do the crank sensor by taking it out with its mounting bracket?

I've done it 3 time the hard way....I hear this is half the time...there is also a post that says XR7 Dave posted in TBSEC the procedure....but I went there....couldn't find it....

Here you go:

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbirdscenthusiastclubfrm13.showMessage?topicID=88.topic

Mind you, I've not done it his way. I struggled through it using the teensy tune-up wrench sort of like this:

1a. Slide tiny wrench up to small inaccessible bolt blocked by HB.
1b. Note that wrench doesn't slide over the bolt..
1c. Remove wrench, turn it around,
1d. try again.. Note that this time the wrench fits even worse!
1e. Remove wrench and turn back to original position.
2a. Slide wrench up with 2 fingers..
2b. Drop wrench. Swear some.
2c. Repeat starting at 1a.
3a. Attach wrench successfully.. turn bolt 1/10th of a turn..
3b. Repeat from 1a until bolt is removed or approximately
10,000 times or until arm drops off from fatigue.

Hope this helps.;)

ha i just did this (damn SC's)

ok get a long 7/32 socket for quarter inch grind it a little bit along the length all the way around, you know make it skinnier.
use driver and a 2inch extention,
loosen bolts
then take the driver off and turn extention with fingers
remove.
Note: taking S belt off may make things easier
install: reverse method, but make sure you install bottom bolt first, top bolt is a MAJOR PITA
make sure you have good clearance, then tighten up good.

thats it.
oh yeah cuss cuss and then get the dictionary and cuss some more.

jim

Back