has anyone seen this type of anti-theft device? (pix inside)

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
I have this device in my 92 stang. I was told by the previous owner that it was a 'factory' system....although I highly doubt it. However, it's simple enough that I may want to incorporate it to my birds since i've read of a few stolen cars around my neighborhood. It's essentially a kill switch wired into the car, you insert the piece below into a female receptacle. When you do so, you effectively close the circuit to start the car and if this piece is missing the circuit is broken and no crank. The receptacle is bolted to the bottom trim piece under the steering column, not directly in sight but easy to access to install or remove the insert. As you can see, the insert can be removed easily and attached to the car's keychain when removed.

I tried looking for any part numbers in the receptacle and the insert but nothing. The only thing that the insert has is the words "THEFT LOCK" in it. I tried a basic google with no positive results. Has any one seen this?

10182010328.jpg

10182010327.jpg

I remember that from back in the day. Its basically a removable cut off switch from what I remember. Not factory either. Wires either go to ignition switch in steering column or starter solenoid..Or both

Had something very similar on a used car I bought about 14 years ago. When plugged in the car would start and run. Unplug it and the car would continue to run. Shut it off and it wouldn't restart. Never had a problem, just left it plugged in all the time.

Youu'll never get those parts anymore. My buddy had a problem and we had to completely take it all out to make his truck drive again. That system could have been dealer installed, his was.
Alan

Looked thru my car paperwork file cabinet drawer. Did not see anything for the anti theft device on the car that is similar to yours.

I do remember it was wired into the ignition switch harness, as I had the dash out of that car at one point.

Sorry I could be more help.

They are still installing those on cars to this day, although the new ones dont require you to insert anything they use a key fob that you just place next to it for a second and a light will come on then you can start your car. they are only as good as the person installing them and in most cases they cause more harm then good (due to shoddy install work)

they installed one on a show called "2 guys Garage" then it was renamed to "crank and chrome" search on those shows.

Yah i think you can still track down that kinda system, but it's basically been replaced with a Passive system with a Key Fob that just needs to be put in the area of a sensor to disable it.. We've installed some at work like that, i liked the feature where you can set it up to start to sense the Fob once you open up the door so by the time the key is in the ignition it's basically already disabled (Some systems only start to sense the FOB when the key is turned to the `run' position so you can have a slight delay in activating the starter/ignition)

Also some of those `plug in key' setups can also have different resistors in them that then went to a `control box' that checks to make sure certain resistances are across certain pins, but i think at the time those where more elaborate systems of that kind:eek:

Back