PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Driver for JBL Sub - MTX BT

jabaldaz
10-18-2010, 10:04 PM
SOLD

I came across a pair of new in box MTX Blue Thunder 6.5" bass drivers at the company's garage sale this fall. My 21 year old stock JBL sub had the foam surround unattached, so I figured I would try one of these to see how it fit and sounded. While the MTX driver may not be matched for the stock JBL enclosure parameters, the physical fit couldn't be much better. It has a cork gasket on the top side of the driver to allow for top side mounting like that used in the stock subwoofer enclosure. As you can see in the photos, the overall height is the same as the JBL driver with the foam spacer.

It definitely has a punch to it compared to the stock JBL driver, especially for someone who wants to keep the stock sub enclosure. As you can see, the magnet and voice coil on the MTX is much larger than that of the JBL driver. The speaker also weighs about 4-1/2 lbs vs 3 lbs for the JBL. I can't say how well it works with the stock JBL sub amp as I'm running my stereo on a 5 channel Soundstream amp, but I would think it would work well. The MTX is a 4 ohm driver, and I believe I have read that the stock JBL driver is 6 ohm. This could be an issue if using at loud volumes for long time periods with the stock amp.

So I have the second unit still in the unopened box that I am willing to sell to someone who also wants to keep the use of their stock subwoofer enclosure. I'm willing to sell this for $20 plus shipping. Will ship to anywhere in the USA.

I'm posting it here first, but will put it on ebay if it does not sell by Nov 12.

jabaldaz
10-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Bump to the top

mike93sc
10-27-2010, 02:06 AM
Speaker still available?

Thanks,

Mike

jabaldaz
10-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Yes, it is still available. I'll respond to your PM tonight.

mike93sc
10-28-2010, 08:18 PM
i'll try it. Looks like a nice speaker. How does it sound in your car?

jabaldaz
10-30-2010, 10:51 PM
PM sent. Sale pending.

90turbo1
01-18-2011, 06:23 PM
DID THIS SELL?

IF NOT THEN i AM INTERESTED!

jabaldaz
01-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Yes, this sold.