90 sc 5 speed no spark just shut off

ajhansen91

Hey I My super coupe recently shut off on me when I put car into gear with foot still on the clutch. It will turn over but not fire I checked and no spark I have changed parts so far (Ignition module, Coil Pack) I know cam or crank shaft sensor might be an issue. Do you think that is possible. Or what suggestions would you have on getting my car running again I love this car so much but nobody knows much about them. MY girlfriend wants me to sell both of mine but I want to restore. I got a neutral safety switch code stuck open and egr valve when I had a friend test it. But I heard through the grapevine that It would not even turn over if that were the case. My car turns over just wont fire.

also Do you think I would be getting automatic transmission error codes in my manual transmission
the reason i ask this is i have had car for three years and never had a problem with that being an issue and The mechanic who is trying to figure it out says he is getting automatic transmission codes and thinks that the wrong eec is in it? which I took eec out now and got this part number I attached a pic of it He is saying that I have wrong eec In their which I know is not the case
eMAIL ajhansen91@hotmail.com

Thanks aaron hansen ajhansen

Attachments

• eec pic thunderbird.jpg
    eec pic thunderbird.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Check for crank pulley wobble while cranking the engine....

Even a little bit of wobble can cause a no start condition.....

Also check the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer to the end of the crank shaft.....

If it is loose or gone, the balancer can walk off the crank shaft a bit.....

Hey I My super coupe recently shut off on me when I put car into gear with foot still on the clutch. It will turn over but not fire I checked and no spark I have changed parts so far (Ignition module, Coil Pack) I know cam or crank shaft sensor might be an issue. Do you think that is possible. Or what suggestions would you have on getting my car running again I love this car so much but nobody knows much about them. MY girlfriend wants me to sell both of mine but I want to restore. I got a neutral safety switch code stuck open and egr valve when I had a friend test it. But I heard through the grapevine that It would not even turn over if that were the case. My car turns over just wont fire.

also Do you think I would be getting automatic transmission error codes in my manual transmission
the reason i ask this is i have had car for three years and never had a problem with that being an issue and The mechanic who is trying to figure it out says he is getting automatic transmission codes and thinks that the wrong eec is in it? which I took eec out now and got this part number I attached a pic of it He is saying that I have wrong eec In their which I know is not the case

eMAIL ajhansen91@hotmail.com

Thanks aaron hansen ajhansen

Picture of the EEC is too small to read the numbers. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, sudden loss of spark is usually caused by the balancer starting to fail or failing and damaging or loosing contact with the crank sensor.

David

I'm thinking 66-67 for the Safety Switch Code.

I got clean code confirmation with this code. I think its because clutch isnt pushed when codes are read.

I think you have to go back to beginning and check the basics for no start..

With no burps to make you feel good either spark or fuel.

Paul

reply no spark 90 5 spd Aaron Hansen owner

I did get the 67 neutral safety switch and codes were taken when car was being turned over But I was told that the car would not turn over if that were the case it. My car turns over fine when you push in the clutch I just have no spark The engine was running i put the car in gear and it just shut off. I did disconnect battery to try to reset. when I reconnected battery codes that showed up were 67 for neutral safety switch and a egr valve. It seems that neither of these would cause a sudden loss of spark.

enclosed is a pic of eec out of car and what mechanic says car calls for part # he says is written on page

Attachments

• eec pic.jpg
    eec pic.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 52
  • thunderbird vin 1990 sc and info.jpg
    thunderbird vin 1990 sc and info.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 45
Unfortunately my spare eec is at the shop so I can't confirm codes.

I think if you got 3 yrs of trouble free starts, that its not the eec per say.

Paul

Back