Will the 4r70w trans fit and work in my 89SC?

phils89sc

I know the AOD is mechanically shifted. I also know that the 4r70W trans is electronically shifted, at least into overdrive. It that correct? If one had the flexplate, TC, trans, etc, could the trans be made to work in the 89SC without the the electronic control? Could a manual switch be wired to operate the electronic OD solenoid?

Transgo makes a full manual valvebody kit that will work like that.
There is a special on the baumann controllers going on too. Either way be careful, both techniques used improperly will get you a broken transmission. Remember the rules
#1 never go into overdrive under load.
#2 Never ever skip 3rd, no 4-2 shifts, no 2-4 shifts
Easiest way to remember is if you are going to play take it out of overdrive and wait for the shift.
Alan

Transgo makes a full manual valvebody kit that will work like that.
There is a special on the baumann controllers going on too. Either way be careful, both techniques used improperly will get you a broken transmission. Remember the rules
#1 never go into overdrive under load.
#2 Never ever skip 3rd, no 4-2 shifts, no 2-4 shifts
Easiest way to remember is if you are going to play take it out of overdrive and wait for the shift.
Alan

I understand...I'll tell you what, if I ever shift from 3rd to OD (4th) at full throttle, I would say I am going way too fast to care!! Hehehe!! So it is all possible then. Any particular year 4r70w?

you can swap another ecu in there and let the computer control the trans its pretty easy

i swapped a 4r70w in my 91 with a 95 mustang v8 ecu, took all of 2 hours to wire up

you can swap another ecu in there and let the computer control the trans its pretty easy

i swapped a 4r70w in my 91 with a 95 mustang v8 ecu, took all of 2 hours to wire up

What your not telling them is the fact that you have to spend some time retuning that ECU to make it work "properly" on the v6, and also if they want to use the QH, they would end up using a very poorly built out definition file I wouldn't trust at all.

You could use the EEC from a 94/95 supercoupe auto (W4D2), wire it in just as quick if not quicker and that would require a lot less effort to tune and have a fully built definition file for the QH as well. I'm planning to do exactly this and turn off the auto trans function until I decide I want to go to a 4r70w, which I doubt as I like the AOD and its simplicity and its evenly spaced gearing.

Why people take the hard route is beyond me....

Fraser

I would only have a 5 speed in a sc. But, if it had to be an auto, I would go with a early case and gear train. Then, go with a 96 up valvebody. To top it off I wouldn't touch the computer and use a tci controller for the transmission. Simple install, better lube circuits, tougher geartrain, most tuning flexibility. Only downside I can think of is having lock up in the tc makes the tc heavier. So, you may scrub some time off doing it. If you have enough gear, you don't really need lock up. Just something to ponder.

I would only have a 5 speed in a sc. But, if it had to be an auto, I would go with a early case and gear train. Then, go with a 96 up valvebody. To top it off I wouldn't touch the computer and use a tci controller for the transmission. Simple install, better lube circuits, tougher geartrain, most tuning flexibility. Only downside I can think of is having lock up in the tc makes the tc heavier. So, you may scrub some time off doing it. If you have enough gear, you don't really need lock up. Just something to ponder.

Tuning flexibility?..... can't agree with you on that one....

Fraser

Uuuuhhhh....plug in computer and change switches. The controller comes with its own wire harness to boot. Not sure how swapping in a computer and doing more wiring changes is easier, but hey, we are just offering options. Ive been working in a transmission shop for a while...so this isn't just a hobby for me.

Why on earth would you desire the early case which has serious flow restrictions as compared to the F7+ case. The early planets are also terrible. Besides the early aluminum bushings that like to gall, the gearsets were not hardened until 03.
Alan

.... and also if they want to use the QH, they would end up using a very poorly built out definition file I wouldn't trust at all.
Would you care to clarify this? If you are referring to my definition then I consider that you are misinforming people.

Would you care to clarify this? If you are referring to my definition then I consider that you are misinforming people.

Sounds familiar about what was and still is being spread around about the SC definitions that I did, and that was at alot of different forums by several of your acquaintences....

and to rest assure you, I was talking about a free one that was lurking around that at most about 100 items in it. I have never discredited any of your work......

Fraser

to clarify some things here, i got with 3.8 about the ranger project. the objective is he has an aod already and intends to keep everything basic(ie no computers of any sort). he needed to know if the trans had the torque ability to with stand a 460. i believe it does so he is going forward with the project. thee main concerns i expressed is to use a high grade torque converter and a tranny cooler from a 97 ish f-350.

i talked to him about the pressure adjustments for the shift cable and he insist he has the equipment to tap in and calibrate that as needed.

he has the ability to load pics, ill have him post some as we progress on the project.

Sounds familiar about what was and still is being spread around about the SC definitions that I did, and that was at a lot of different forums by several of your acquaintances....

and to rest assure you, I was talking about a free one that was lurking around that at most about 100 items in it. I have never discredited any of your work......

Fraser

i don't want to get in the middle of this but since your response was in regard to my posting i feel i should reply

Fraser, there used to be a few people that at one time did think that your def's were sub-par, the two largest contributor's to spreading that mis-truth I have personally spoken with and informed otherwise

for anyone to say your def's are lacking doesn't know what they are talking about (excluding gsalc which is a bastard child anyway)

I would know I have used all 4 on my private collection of supercoupes, every single one worked just as expected.

and for you and sailorbob to not share knowledge and pick each others brain is and will always be the the largest constraint on the DIY tuning community, you've both spent countless hours doing the same exact work to get to the same exact place when you both could have found a common ground and achieved the same objective with less hiccups and headaches along the way, to each their own i suppose

and holy smokes, since when is sailorbob a lurker here?

Back