well i "think" it happen again..

92sclikenew

well the car did its thing again.. popped, back fired, cloud of black smoke. then no oil pressure....

same thing that happen last time when the syncro gear got trashed and the cam gear..

i havent pulled it apart yet.. but im about 95% because it wont run till the cam sensor is unplugged..

the bad thing is, last time it sounded bad before it happen this time.. no signs..

here is the thread from last time..
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115078

You can find out pretty easy by removing the belts, and the bolt that holds down the syncro stalk. You can pull it out far enough to inspect the stalk gear without removing the accessory bracket.
I've chewed through two of them too.
You should be able install and seat the stalk pretty easily by hand. If you had to tap it in with a hammer then you may have a clearance issue with the stalk and the brass bushing in the timing cover. That was my issue, and it didn't fix itself.

good luck
Bob

Think I still have a couple of these stalks and gears. Let me know. If you cant replace the bushing in the timing cover, I have One of those also.

same thing happen i just pulled the cam sensor and the 1/2 moon spins about 1/4 turn....

now what could be the issue.. i replaced everything but the timing cover..

new timing set(includes chain and gears)
new timing tensioner
good used cam gear
good used cam syncro.

i dont have it all apart.. but i know for sure..

i just dont know what to replace to make it stop happening.:rolleyes:

It has been a while since I have wrenched that deep but, I THINK there is a spacer/washer that goes on before the cam gear.

Hope that helps.

It has been a while since I have wrenched that deep but, I THINK there is a spacer/washer that goes on before the cam gear.

Hope that helps.

yea thanks for the help but...

that washer was installed the last time and went on when i reinstalled it..

Well

If you're getting a new timing cover you, try cutting or drilling a decent sized hole in the front of the old one so you can bolt it up with the new parts and see how things fit when it's assembled...

If you're getting a new timing cover you, try cutting or drilling a decent sized hole in the front of the old one so you can bolt it up with the new parts and see how things fit when it's assembled...

what would this do.. show if the cover is causing the issue?? i would just cut that one in 1/2 for something.

i picking up a good used cover with like 84k on it with the cam syncro that goes with it..

im also thinking of buying another high volume oil pump. just to be on the safe side.. but then i wouldn't know what fixed it.. but all i care about is fixing it..

Last edited:
Back