PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a 95 5spd, questions and link to pics included.

DBs955spd
10-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Hey all, the first car I ever owned was an 89 SC that was in rough shape, but god I loved that car. Sold my 98 Contour SVT last year to buy a workvan after I got my plumbing license. I stumbled on this ad a few days ago:

http://eurocargarage.motorphotos.net/webtemplate.aspx?iid=2866853

First I ran a carfax, came back with one accident and an odometer rollback issue...ok this seemed like good fodder for bargaining. I drove an hour to look at/drive the car. Exterior is about a 7.5, paint was descent but one rear fender has a bit of rust and is a little rotten...no biggy. The interior is a FLAWLESS 10. I coudnt believe it...unfortunately the car had a dead battery, and a power steering leak and the boss/owner wasnt there to talk to about it.
I called the boss that night, and asked him if he was planning on getting it running to sell, he said he was overwhelmed by a bloated inventory and wouldnt have time to get it running...but he would entertain offers. So I thought about it for an hour, sent him an email and offered him 1200 for the car as is. I know how rare these cars are and felt it wasnt THAT big of a gamble. He came back at me and wanted 1500 as that was what he supposedly payd for it and didnt want to take a loss.
Went back out there today with a new battery, hooked it up, and the car started right away. Bit of an exhaust/oil smell initially but it went away after a minute or two. Idle'd very rough, stalling out without gas. I have a limited mechanical knowledge, but I chalked it up to an empty gas tank, and maybe some clogged fuel/air filters. I bought the car for $1500. The actual title mileage of the car is 85xxx but the odometer shows 16xxx from being replaced. I feel good about my investment but Id like feedback from you folks, you helped me MANY times when i had my 89.

p.s. If a 95 has NOT had its Headgaskets replaced under recall, can you still take advantage of the recall now or is there a "statute of limitations"?

p.s.s How come when I go on Fords recall website and submit the VIN for my car it lists "no recalls" when Im 95% sure there was a recall on 95 SC's for HG's?

Thanks Everyone!!!!!!!:D

VicRattlehead
10-21-2010, 08:59 PM
i saw that ad somewhere, looks nice for 1500 id say you did ok

JimmyMan
10-21-2010, 09:11 PM
looks like a good deal, sorry don't know about the recall but if you post this in the non-tech forum someone will have the answer

XxSlowpokexX
11-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Just wanted to mention the odometer rollback issue isnt always an issue. I had two of my cars have teh worng miliage information added when getting inspected. The next year when It was reinspected that came up due to the miles being lower

On my mustang I went from 80,000 miles to 125,000 then back to 82,000...Not saying this is the case. But on an older car there really is little reason to fool around with that. Could have been as simple as a replaced odometer