Aluminum Spare for SC? What is it for?

Drummer

What year model ford does this belong to? It is a Ford aluminum spare just not sure if it's for a T-Bird. Found it in a T-Bird.

Attachments

• 1021101806.jpg
    1021101806.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 202
No, It's aluminum alright. Took some Brasso to a spot to see if it would shine and it did. No chrome paint for sure.

Yes, that is what I said. All Mark VIII spares were aluminum, but they were all painted black. It appears in the photos that towards the center, it rubbed down to the original black paint?? I'm not sure if any of the Panther chassis vehicles came with aluminum spares or not? That might be another possibility. Is there a part number cast into it anywhere?

Thomas

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I said. All Mark VIII spares were aluminum, but they were all painted black. It appears in the photos that towards the center, it rubbed down to the original black paint?? I'm not sure if any of the Panther chassis vehicles came with aluminum spares or not? That might be another possibility. Is there a part number cast into it anywhere?

Thomas
I looked on the rim and saw nothing really. There is a Ford stamp though.Looks like the aluminum is clear coated. Not sure why they would clear coat a rim they were going to paint.

Hard to say. Have you tried bolting it up to a Thunderbird? That would eliminate or confirm a few possibilities based on the bolt pattern. 16" or 17"?

Thomas

Hard to say. Have you tried bolting it up to a Thunderbird? That would eliminate or confirm a few possibilities based on the bolt pattern. 16" or 17"?

Thomas

Not sure the size. Haven't tried it yet. I Googled this to death and came up with rims that looked the same just black. The backside is black. The one in my SC has 4 or 5 holes not sure. Haven't turned it over to see if it is all aluminum unpainted though. If the thing fits I might go back and see if I can find another one.

I would guess, since you found it in a Thunderbird, that it is a Mark VIII spare that someone stripped and cleared on the one side. I did that to a set of 17" aluminum LS spares to clear my Cobra brake setup.

Thomas

Unless Ford started cutting corners its not a Panther spare. Our Grand Marquis has a full size spare.

The Metal between the lug nut holes all are stamped but 1.

1) K1 under this stamped 94
2)E
3) 16 (I assume this is a 16" spare)
4) Ford

The yellow sticker with warnings says E2BC-1A479AA

The E2xxxxxxxxx part number is likely for that warning label itself (E2=1982). See if it bolts up to your car. If so, then it almost certainly has to be a Mark VIII spare given it's design and size.

Thomas

Looks like the Lincoln Continental spare.

Attachments

• lincoln.jpg
    lincoln.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
That is the decal part number, not a number for the wheel itself. Some of the mid to late 90s Crown Vics and Grand Marquis had a 16 x4" aluminium mini-spare. Been a long time since I've seen one, I don't recall which style they are.

cheers
Ed N.

Back