Help! Replacing E-Brake Handle

bigpoppa822

I'm in the middle of replacing my emergency brake handle. I already have the cable secured through the back part but I cannot for the life of me get the clevis end of the cable to go over the hook on the new handle. How do I release some of the tension in the system or pull far enough on the cable to get it to go on to the new handle?

Thanks, pretty desperate here.

Grab the end of the cable and pull it out as far as you can.....

Then use a pair of pliers to grab hold of the cable....

You can rest the pliers against the edge of the channel where the cable comes out to keep tension on the cable....

This should give you enough slack to put it over the hook on the e-brake handle....

I tried that, I got the cable out as far as I could and vice gripped the cable at the base, I couldn't get it far out enough to hook on to the handle.

There is an adjuster under the car just behind the differential. You can unhook it there and probably get enough slack to just slip it on. I just replaced my entire cable a few weeks ago and had no problem getting it hooked to the handle with the cable in place except for the adjuster in back. It's really easy to get to it.

When you unload the keeper/adjusting clip near the diff, the spring will try to take slack out and you need to work against it to put enough slack in so that you can make the connection to the hb side of the cable system.

Not difficult, but that's part of the overall design intent...easy and quick to accomplish mating everything up at that point.

Back