Advice for removing a head

Dwitjr

Hey guys,
I need to remove the head on my passenger side. I have an exhaust manifold bolt broken off and its leaking exhaust all over and its starting to get in the car while im driving :mad: Any advice for getting this bad boy off with the least amount of cussing...

Hey guys,
I need to remove the head on my passenger side. I have an exhaust manifold bolt broken off and its leaking exhaust all over and its starting to get in the car while im driving :mad: Any advice for getting this bad boy off with the least amount of cussing...

Well, you probably expected to hear this, but your best bet is to bite the bullet and do a full HG swap. If you can afford it, make the switch to ARP head studs from a 2.8L GM V6. Search the forums for the part number. Think of how much you would kick yourself if you do just the one side, and get everything back together and motor pops the other HG! That would just suck. I know because that is what happened to me!! I was posting on the forums about my timing cover swap out, and someone recommended I change the HG's while I had the engine partially torn down. I laughed and said no way, I only had 88K miles on the engine right? Well guess what, 2 months later, the HG's let go!!

Well, you probably expected to hear this, but your best bet is to bite the bullet and do a full HG swap. If you can afford it, make the switch to ARP head studs from a 2.8L GM V6. Search the forums for the part number. Think of how much you would kick yourself if you do just the one side, and get everything back together and motor pops the other HG! That would just suck. I know because that is what happened to me!! I was posting on the forums about my timing cover swap out, and someone recommended I change the HG's while I had the engine partially torn down. I laughed and said no way, I only had 88K miles on the engine right? Well guess what, 2 months later, the HG's let go!!

The HGs were just done along with upgrading to the ARP studs about a year ago. i plan on trying to put on another gasket but i want to get it done as soon as i can because it is my daily driver right now.

I'd leave the head on and pull the manifold. Try to work the stud out, and if necessary you can use a demel or file to make a couple flat spots on it to turn out

Busted bolt

I think "Mike" is right...You are going to have to strip down the right side any way....Might as well take the exhaust manifold off first, pull the fuel lines off and the throttle body/air cleaner tube....etc...You should have enough room to knock it out..

Back