Installing new torque converter/transmission

cyoder

Alright guys I need your help once again. Im installing a TCI streetfighter transmission and TCI torque converter that I bought off jegs. My dad told me that in order to install the torque converter I needed to put it in the transmission over all three splines and put them in together so it doesnt damage anything. We have it all up in the air and got all four bolts of the converter through the flywheel and put the nuts on. Then we got two bolts on on the transmission and it doesnt want to go up any farther. It seems like it is jammed on something but all the bolt holes are lined up. I dont want to put all of them in and end up breaking something. What is the best way to do this?

pull the trans back out and wiggle turn the converter while pushing in. Sounds like the converter is still not all the way in the trans.

Thats what I was afraid of. Man that sucks because it took forever to get the holes lined up for the torque converter and the flywheel. Is there an easier of way of getting everything lined up?

Thats what I was afraid of. Man that sucks because it took forever to get the holes lined up for the torque converter and the flywheel. Is there an easier of way of getting everything lined up?

There's not an easier way and if you don't get the converter seated all the way in the transmission, you will damage the transmission.

He's right

pull the trans back out and wiggle turn the converter while pushing in. Sounds like the converter is still not all the way in the trans.

Chris is correct you have to get the torque converter complete on the input shaft and pump shaft completely. You should not be able to put your fingers behind the TC once it is installed, unless you have very small fingers.

Try this, I just did and it worked out great

Put the engine so that the TC holes on the flywheel are at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00 like a clock, get the trans close to the bell housing so you can still see everything, then turn the TC to line up the bolt holes with the flywheel. You can also do this while it is still on the ground or on the trans jack, either way will work.

Take your time and get them as close as possible to the positions listed above, then there will only be a very small adjustment to get the holes to align after that if any adjustment at all.

It only took me about 20 minutes to bolt the tranny to the engine last time I used this method when I reinstalled my last engine :D

Alright thanks. I will try that. Ill let everyone know if we get it in. Gonna take a break for now before I get to mad at it and end up breaking something.

Get the transmission seated up against the motor before you put on the torque converter nuts to avoid pulling the converter out of the transmission.

By the way which TCI trans and which TCI converter did you get, I had one up until a couple months ago?

Yeah what he said!

Get the transmission seated up against the motor before you put on the torque converter nuts to avoid pulling the converter out of the transmission.

Great point, didn't think about that, but that is exactly what I did too!;)

I got the TCI streetfighter part number 890-431000 and TCI streetfighter converter part number 890-432801. The weird thing is that when I received both of them the tranmission and the torque converter both had fluid in them. I dont know if they tested them to be sure they worked before shipping or if thats the way they ship them out, but i figured it wouldnt have anything in it.

That's why I insist on using a converter that has bolts to secure it, instead of those stupid studs.

David

I had that same combo, they test all their units thats the reason for the fluid. Depending on your mods that stall may be a little high. If you like to race I'd recommend you upgrade to a Lentech valvebody for better shifting, OD lockout via a switch, over the manual/automatic valvebody they put in. Unfortunately my TCI trans failed this summer after almost 8 summers of use.

It seemed like a decent combo when I bought it. As of right now my mods are just cold air intake but i have more ready to go onto the car after I get the tranmission back in and drive it for a while. I have new 255 lph fuel pump, new harmonic balancer, custom double intercooler, getting head gaskets redone and arp studs, got 10% overdrive pulley, and as soon as the tranny is back in the exhaust is getting done. Thats the first place I plan on going with the car.

It's a good combo, its just that I put a cheap converter in when I first installed my streetfighter trans. So when I changed my motor I noticed the cheap converter had ballooned really bad, pushed the direct drive shaft into the trans and mushroomed the end of it, and most likey was part of my motor failure. I installed the Streetfighter converter with the new motor and ran 12.50's with a 94 M90, pulled 1.7 60ts. I ran it like that and I knew in the back of my mind it wasn't going to last, so when it got the AR lets say it didn't like 400+ horsepower and torque to the wheels.

I disagree, people strip out threaded holes all the time, once the studs are there they are easier to get started straight, plus you can just go ahead and start tightening them instead of starting them all and then tightening it. Bolts ito threaded holes is a pain in the butt and takes 3 times as long to do. I guarantee I can put all 4 nuts on and tightened with the dust cover on ready to go do something else before you can put 4 bolts in and tightened.
Alan

Well im not gonna be going super crazy with it. I will probably never get to 400 horsepower like you guys because I do not have that much money to put into. Ill probably end up trying to get to the thirteen or low fourteen second range. I forgot to add that I might be getting a bigger cam as well, but I have not decided on that one yet.

That is good because the alto clutches in that street fighter will peel the first time they get over about 220 degrees with a load on them. It has happened to a few people around here.
Alan

Alright guys I need help once again. Everything is in and the car starts in an instant. The only problem is when I put the car in gear it acts like it goes into it, the rpms change and all that, but the car doesn't move. It just acts like its still in park or neutral. I have put four quarts in it as of right now, it came shipped with fluid in both the converter and the transmission. We spilled some not much..anyways please help I want to drive this car!!!!!!!

It does not come shipped with full of fluid, with a stock pan and that converter it will take nearly 12 quarts to fill it up. If you keep trying that low on fluid you are going to burn it up. You did add a quart to the converter before you installed it into the transmission correct?

Last edited:
Back