93 SC did not like SCT or diablo. Un-Chipable?

EatonEmployee

I put new plugs on wires (motorcraft 8mm 5595) (autolite xp103 @ .046), and did a baseline dyno run. It was 205 RWHP and 297 Lb ft of torque, at the wheels. Pretty good for bone stock with 98k! Add 50 to the numbers and that is what the crank sees.

Anyway I wanted to chip it for future mods and also so I could get lower fan temps. 195 and like 201 for HS. Evidently this EEC is very aggressive already and not much could be done and the changes made it slower?

Question. Best way to get my fan to come on at 195/201. When I stop at idle after getting it it hits that 225 number at the M of norm. ME NO LIKEY! Also nothing like how my car preforms cold and it preform better in the middle than at the end of M. Any suggestions?????

tune

Even stock? It wouldn't idle right after install and I lost power on the dyno. Tuner said power loss even after chip was due to cold to operating temp and the idle was increased caused idle stumbling. He said "the converter and not to worry". I could not live with a car idling like it was misfiring. Once chip was out, ran perfect.

You think bad tune? My thoughts on the 180 mile drive home was that he had it set up for V-8 birds and just overlooked it. He seemed a bit rusty with familiarity with the SC V-6 component local. This guy catered to mostly Stangs but in Oregon are options are limited. I thought he was honest which is rare in the car business.

Bad tune, I'd pull the chip and get it off to one of the tuners on here that have the right experience.

Get in contact with Dave Dalke, SCU. he can sell you a chip with tune into it. Tell him all your mods and plans and he will mail you a SCT or a BE chip. He can add more timing and give you a tune from a similar modded car so you replicate the results. And also adjust your fan setting to whatever you want.

I put new plugs on wires (motorcraft 8mm 5595) (autolite xp103 @ .046), and did a baseline dyno run. It was 205 RWHP and 297 Lb ft of torque, at the wheels. Pretty good for bone stock with 98k! Add 50 to the numbers and that is what the crank sees.

Anyway I wanted to chip it for future mods and also so I could get lower fan temps. 195 and like 201 for HS. Evidently this EEC is very aggressive already and not much could be done and the changes made it slower?

Question. Best way to get my fan to come on at 195/201. When I stop at idle after getting it it hits that 225 number at the M of norm. ME NO LIKEY! Also nothing like how my car preforms cold and it preform better in the middle than at the end of M. Any suggestions?????

255hp crank...stock?....Highly unlikely....These cars werent under rated by Ford...More likely ,you went to a feel good dyno..

And get rid of the auto lite xp103s. Those are the single platinum plugs, correct? Heard our waste fire ignition doesn't like single platinums.

Feel good dyno

Well, the dyno operated was shocked. I watched a sprayed with 20 psi blown mach 1 (o4) with tons of mods only do 412. Lot's of Mustang fox numbers under 200. This was his baseline run before the chip to show the "improvement" after the tune. It would have been in his best interest to have this number as low as possible. Not logical it was feel good. Might not have been the harder "mustang" dyno but all he tunes is Mustangs since our SC's are very rare. I didn't bother to ask the dyno manufacturer but just by putting those xp 103's at .046 made a drastic difference. My 93 Mustang had a built 347 with the B block and ported aluminum gt40 X headed motor from Ford racing and this SC impresses the hell out of me.

Hey. Sometimes you get a good one? I posted the run on FB and quoted that I had better then "new" numbers, bone stock. Hey, I'm happy. I may do an exhaust but feel fortunate. I am not modding this car and sacrificing reliability. It pulls way too hard and has 98k miles. Who would of thunk?

take care, Linc

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with Autolite XP's unless you are running nitrous. Those plugs are a platinum/iridium hybrid.

I've dyno'd 200+rwhp on many stock SC's but that doesn't make them freaks or super fast. Generally what it is, is the car is run on the dyno before it is up to operating temperature so the knock sensor is off. Once the car is warm it won't tolerate as much timing and the knock sensor will kick in pulling power back and saving the motor from self destruction.

Physics and mechanics. Nothing more.

Get rid of xp 103's

Right again Dave on the Xp 103's. I did TONS of homework. I also ran th 504FM douple PP's from Motorcraft and the Autolite 5144. XP 103 doing much better. I also figured the plugs out. I can do them in half an hour. All from the bottom except passenger front. I bounced for years and hated my small hands because I was forced to grapple. As a mechanic..... Thank you God. lol

Yeah!

See, SC Dave knows his stuff too. He only gaps his smaller because he has a 10 second car I imagine is generating a bit more boost than stock. I am always glad when the Dave's and Big-E chime in. Always helpful. I like this forum.

I still would like some tricks on springs. Contemplating putting some H&R's in. Suggestions welcome as well. Thank you everyone!

I guess XP's are ok then, cause DD says so.:) I use NGK BR7EF's, but I make a bit more than 200 HP.

Car runs strong thats great! With a relatively stock car however I dont think Id spend the cash for a chip. Ive also had good experience with the XP plugs. Youll get the HP bug soon enough I assure you!

HP Bug

It seems my car likes the cooler temps. That seems to be a HUGE factor in how it preforms. I need to col it down. I am going to a 180, I have no idea what is in there but it has a new radiator and thermo from Ford (prev owner). I may need to go with bigger radiator off a 4.6> I dunno. I'll ask in the forum.

Linc

4.6 rad wont work and adding a 180 tstat will just put your fan into OD. There are several things on your car that will cut timing or activate the knock sensor. Thats where you are most likely feeling a power loss when hot. Better IC works wonders. For now you can add a fan on your stock one which may help a bit

Back