Reusing a Stock Balancer... Will it last 6 mo?

sts70004

I know, I know, DO NOT REUSE a stock balancer. However I can't afford either a new one or a BHJ at the moment. I will be able to in about 6 months. Think a used one will last that long?

I've reused balancers in the past....

I reused the same one on three different engines....

If you are careful removing and installing it, it might work out for you....

To quote Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry character, "Do you feel lucky?"

im on a used one now

im currently on a used one i bought off off 90coug three weeks no issues but i know it wont last i wish it would but if you expect the worse its not so bad when it happens.. fingers crossed..the new aftermarket balancer lasted about 3000 miles junk from china i guess.. bhj seems to be the only route.
just cant swing it at one time...

im currently on a used one i bought off off 90coug three weeks no issues but i know it wont last i wish it would but if you expect the worse its not so bad when it happens.. fingers crossed..the new aftermarket balancer lasted about 3000 miles junk from china i guess.. bhj seems to be the only route.
just cant swing it at one time...

Same story here about the Dorman Balancer for me... Apparently the trouble is in the pulley they send you. And as a result the whole thing isn't in neutral balance.

i bought a NOS ford HB when i put my motor together..

it has been back off 2 times and it has to come off at least 1 more time.

New OEM HB

Where did you find and purchase the new OEM balancer? My buddy is in need of one.

Thanks!
Ray

the pully

im with you on the pully deal my aftermarket balancer / pully did not have the little disk counterweight on it .. the used bal. i got was fitted with the actual pully that came with car from the first h b failure and had the counter balance piece on it so maybe i will get few more miles from it....

The issue is, will it last 6 months, possibly. If it doesn't you have a broken bolt in your crank and need to take the engine out and have it removed or simply replace the motor. My luck isn't that good.....
Alan

broken bolt removal

easy out process it was nerve wracking but went perfect after doing this two times its no more intimidating than changing plugs,, still sucks but doable
if she breaks again the car will just wait till i can afford a bhj..

Attachments

• hb 2 004.JPG
    hb 2 004.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 95 005.JPG
    95 005.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 59
whats with the wood attached to the drill for ? balance ?

is most balancer breakage from over-driving the blower , due to increased belt tension

whats with the wood attached to the drill for ? balance ?

is most balancer breakage from over-driving the blower , due to increased belt tension

From a crappy design...stock balancer uses an aluminum hub that when installed is softer than the crank snout and conforms to fit the crank at initial installation. This is cheaper that custom fitting a steel to steel balancer.

Problem is when the balancer ages and the elastomer ring hardens and stops absorbing vibrations, the aluminum hub breaks putting all the stress of retaining the balancer on the bolt, and the bolts breaks shortly afterward.

If you are lucky enough to be using a used balancer that is in good condition, and was installed on a crank the same or smaller diameter than yours, and doesn't have any balance pins installed, and have a well balanced crank pulley..it could last years. Most times they fail within the first 6 months, because one of the above criteria isn't met. Removing and reinstalling the factory balancer on the same crank isn't nearly as risky.

The BHJ unit uses a steel hub that is supplied slightly undersized and in many cases must be honed for a slight interference fit, and for this reason is much more durable/stronger than the factory balancer.

David

Last edited:
David, Could I take a used balancer to a machine shop and make sure its perfectly balanced to increase the chances of success for 6 months till I can afford a BHJ?

yes

it was to insure i went into the center of the broken crank bolt and a leverage thing.

David, Could I take a used balancer to a machine shop and make sure its perfectly balanced to increase the chances of success for 6 months till I can afford a BHJ?

That would help, but the real issue is how tightly it will fit on the crankshaft snout.

David

Hmmm, well I'm pretty broke till summer starts unfortunately. In my line of work its very minimal until good weather. If I get a new bolt and washer, and get it balanced, do you think it might last until then? I still have to buy one. My car has been sitting there for about a month now, broken.

If you go used with an aluminum pully you could get rid of weight, minimize balance issues and have a reusable/saleable pulley when you move to a more permanent solution.

Car will rev a little more freely to boot.

Paul

I've reused balancers a couple of times with no problems; however, they were the original and relatively low mileage. That is < 125,000 miles. In addition, when I closely inspected the inner aluminum sleeve, there was no apparent visible wear. The time that I did have a failure, I could see the wear in the aluminum. And I may catch flak for this, but the last time I reinstalled one, I gave it a thin layer of my favorite adhesive, black silicon RTV, to help absorb the small vibrations between the crankshaft and the balancer hub. Does it work?? I don't really know, but I've got more that 10,000 miles on it now. :cool:

Back