Got the heads off. Now what?

fordemt

Ok. Got both heads off today. Passenger side gasket at the number 3 cylinder was blown out completely. Heads go to the machine shop Monday. I'm on a budget but would like to get this right. I plan to port the exhaust manifolds and put in new motor mounts since I'm right there. What else should I do? On the cheap of course. I also plan to get the arp Chevy head studs and fel-pro hg set. Anything else? Thanks guys.

if you can get the scratch together i suggest having Dave over size your valves while you have the heads off.
if your felpro gaskets are not multi layer then you might want to get some spray copper and apply a light coat to the block side.
make sure you have the oil drained now and replace it 3-5 times once you get it back together.
i think the correct plugs are al103's not sure though.

I will check it out. I do want to do it right but I want to get it done this year too! As far as getting oversized valves done, unless its 100 bucks which I'm sure its not, I can't see me doing it. Wish I could.

Well, if your doing this on a budget oversized valves and and springs are probably not gonna be needed. Buy headgaskets that fit a 94-95 V-6 mustang, those are the good ones and they are black in color. Outside of that I recommend ARP head studs because you will have to replace the torque to yield stock bolts anyways. The studs are stronger and reusable. I bolted mine down to 90-95ft/lbs and havent had any problems with 350 rwhp. Replace the t-stat.

So don't buy the sc specific gaskets? I was going to buy the kit from fel-pro. What's the difference?

So don't buy the sc specific gaskets? I was going to buy the kit from fel-pro. What's the difference?

The fel-pro kit will be fine for your car. I'm making over 300rwhp and I'm using the felpro gaskets with no issues.... no point in going to the MLS gaskets as I haven't had the block decked yet... just the heads.

Fraser

Well I guess I'm going for stock. I'm not planning on any power upgrades besides free flow exhaust and Cai.

I'm also using the factory Felpros. I'm at +/-300rwhp too.

You'll need to replace the O2 sensor on that side at least....I would do both sides though. The coolant in the exhaust ruins them.

I thought about o2 sensors. I also plan to get new plugs. One of the ground straps was missing when I took it out! No damage to the cylinder though.

I'd still get new valvesprings as the factory ones are subpar. Get the ARP head stud kit for a 2.8 chevy and a standard felpro gasket kit for an SC. Youll be set

i wouldn't ditch the mls idea just yet, i've got mls gaskets on all 7 of my supercoupes and 6 of those still have the stock deck, the 7th block was decked when i rebuilt it but otherwise sealed fine even with 220k miles

knock on wood, I've never had a problem

i use the felpro gaskets from autozone for a 97 f150
be sure you spray them down with copper rtv
and don't forget to drill out one of those rivets else it'll get sandwiched between the block and head thus no seal

now would be the time to replace the valve seals $20 and either replace the valve springs with new ones $65 with at least 110 lbs on the seat that way she keeps pullin' past 6k

i forgot to mention the key to the mls sealing is more so the head deck, be sure when you get them machined you let the machinist know its going to be used with mls gaskets so they can put a low enough RA on it, if they don't have a high speed cutter they can just lower the speed down on the actuator and it should be fine

Yeah. I'm kinda scared about the deck. I noticed around cylinder 4 there is some stuff that looks like gasket material. But it won't scrape off.

Back