Are Ford Dealerships competent?

PDQ SC

I am about to close the deal on an SC with a run issue. Seller says after it has run awhile it developes a miss. I want to have him take it to a dealer and get it diagnosed/fixed so I can fly down and drive it home. Waste of time and money?

Are you going to have them fix the exhaust leak at the collector as well?

I think I looked at the same car. I would have him take it in and look at it, I think Ford should be able to find the issue.

Justin

Sherlock! Out of retirement huh. Haven't seen you since the last PBS pleadge drive. The answer is no. Are you familiar with this car?

IMHO:

Dealership....ROFLAO, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, LOL....

No way Jose....

I wouldn't let the dealership change the oil in any of my SCs....

Anyone have an idea what the problem may be? (Not that I can load a bunch of tools into my carryon) I just need to get it home so I can begin the process of turning it into a stroker. Seller says that when it warms up it misses, acts like its pulling timing, loses power.

Could be anything from ignition related to Headgaskets....And there is only one way to find out... Just tow it home...

And as far as the Ford dealers being competent. It comes down to the Mechanics. If there isnt anyone that wants to mess with an SC, then I wouldnt bother. There were not many that liked working on them when they were new and under warranty. 15-21 years later im sure that is even more the case....Call a dealership. Talk to a service advisor and ask...They will know what there guys are willing and capable of doing...

I have e-mailed the two dealers in the area by their preferred method and they have not responded. I'm thinkin thats my answer.

imo the only places that have people with half of a brain to work on our cars are performance shops. you could also try a help wanted in the forums to attempt to recruit someone from here that knows what they are doing. other than that your just playing with fire. theres not to many people at stock level shops that know much about obd1 systems. obd1 did not last long and was to hard to master since everyone used a different system. performance shops somewhat know there way around obd1 since alot of hot rods and lifted trucks use it.

Oh no

Dealerships have no idea what an SC is. Only an SC junkie can work these complex machines. I worked on F-16's for 13 years and this creation takes a specific knowledge of it, just like the 16. The guys who maybe knew are gone and if they are still around are running the place from an office.

I have found my hands, a manual and this forum to be the best way to fix, troubleshoot and repair anything on a SuperCoupe. This car can not be owned by just anyone. I am reading books and never trust anyone but yourself to do the work.

Ford Dealers are 0 for 5 with me, and they usually break a few things. Get familiar with SC clubs in your area and contribute because they will save you tons.

Dealerships have no idea what an SC is. Only an SC junkie can work these complex machines. I worked on F-16's for 13 years and this creation takes a specific knowledge of it, just like the 16. The guys who maybe knew are gone and if they are still around are running the place from an office.

I have found my hands, a manual and this forum to be the best way to fix, troubleshoot and repair anything on a SuperCoupe. This car can not be owned by just anyone. I am reading books and never trust anyone but yourself to do the work.

Ford Dealers are 0 for 5 with me, and they usually break a few things. Get familiar with SC clubs in your area and contribute because they will save you tons.
I could not have said it better myself. 100% correct.

I have e-mailed the two dealers in the area by their preferred method and they have not responded. I'm thinkin thats my answer.

You need to call. Service departments dont generally have time to check and respond to email...Ford used OBD1 from the mid 80's till 1996. Problem with that is that most of the mechanics that mastered it have retired or moved on from the dealership life. Especially after all of the cutbacks(Labor payout times) and automotive crunch of the last 6-8 years. Believe me....I was one of them.

The car is 1600 miles away. Thats the cost I apparently have to pay to find a good rust free southern car. It looks like I may have to "put the cart before the horse" and find a trailer. Thanks for the input. Having owned an SC and a turbo coupe back when they were new you have simply confirmed what I already knew about getting help from the people that sold the things.

Some are good, some are bad but in general very few keep information long enough to work on our cars. I took my 90 to Milham Ford just to get my ABS codes read. They took forever and it seemed that they were doing nothing so I went there to see what was happening. They told me that the exhaust needed siliconing and never looked at the codes. Instead, they listed everything else wrong with the car but what I asked them to look at. I took my car home and I was worried because I thought I had a warped head. The next day I looked at it and the real problem was a cat bolt was loose.
:)

If its near me I will look at for you and I feel several others would do the same.

As for the dealership, I only go to them for very hard to find parts.

And the answer is: No

Against my better judgment I had the '90 I just bought sent to a dealership in Tampa after I contacted them, informed them what I had, and was assured it was within their skill set. Afterall, "they have two techs that drive these things." Four days later they concede they cannot even diagnose issues for this car because it is too old for their equipment. Long story short, after a rather uncomfortable trip to Ocala I placed it in the capable hands of Victor Malvars hidden secret, Branden. Dropped off at 8:00p.m. ready the next morning, issue free drive from Florida to Kansas. It can be done, but its simply amazing that it cannot be done by the folks that made them. Once I get my info straight I must place a post in the good mechanics section for Brandon. I am amazed at what he did in such a short period of time, on such short notice, and I refuse to say what he charged me because he needs to raise his rates. 1300 miles from home, . . . damn I got lucky. :)

Last edited:
The Ford dealership I took it to in West Memphis Arkansas didn't even know they made a supercharged Thunderbird, the mechanics anyway. They ALL came out and asked me to pop the hood and take a look. It was funny in a way to look at the facial expressions but then in a way kinda sad. %99 of the mechanics there had never seen one! That's just WRONG....

I had a misfire...1st time I ever experienced it and i was 17yrs old at the time and I took it to Ford (where else to go besides Ford right? wrong) they diagnosed it as "we cant figure it out but you owe us $160"

ridiculous! never went to Ford again only to buy parts I couldnt get anywhere else

Kinda sad actually

Back