need help is the head from sc 3.8 the same as regular 3.8

mikesc76

im replacing the heads on my 92 sc and i need to knows if they are the same 3.8 sc and 3.8 (taurus or windstar) thanks

Why "replacing" the heads?

What happened?

There are people here who have heads available pretty cheap (including me).
I suggest you go through any heads you buy unless the seller can vouch for condition.

The coolant passages are different but they work. Ive run a set of 94 standard 3.8 heads ported stock valves to the tune of 317 plus rwhp repeatedly and reliably thus far..ONLY because I got them already ported and cheap.

Differences are in coolant passage size, deck thickness, valve stem thickness all accounting for the SC head being asturdier peice. Later SC heads have a harder deck surface as well. Overall teh SC heads are more stout.

Some standard 3.8 heads have also have a different number of intake bolts holes. Ive also been told they may flow slightly better due to thinner valve stems. The best of the 3.8 standard heads are the 96-98 I believe..

All that being said just get a set of SC heads from someone if you really need new heads

thanks for your help i went to the junk yard and i pulled the heads from a sc the left head has the sc stamp on it and the right doesnt have the stamp so i think the last owner replaced the right side head with one from a taurus

The 96-98 Mustang heads are the ones that interchange most closely with the SC heads. The coolant passages are the same. The valve stems are smaller. There is 1 intake manifold bolt missing on each side and the bolts are M6 instead of M8. They can work if you use the SC lower intake gaskets with some 10.9 or 12.9 strength M6 bolts and DON'T OVERTORQUE the bolts. (The M6 bolts can take about 1/2 the torque that M8 bolts can.)

It looks like you already found the heads you need. If you are wondering if they are a matched pair, just look at the coolant passages. They are very different between the SC and 96-98 Mustang and the older Thunderbird / Mustang / whatever else heads.

Back