Electric Supercharger 4.2kW

sts70004

An electric supercharger that might actually do something...

http://www.cpowert.com/products/vtes.htm

Current draw at max = 350 amps :eek:

Thats (350a x 12v) 4,200 watts, which is equal to 5.5 hp. Not a lot considering what ours draw when full boost, but still. Not that I'm considering getting on, just sort of stumbled across it.

would work better on a larger voltage system. say 24 v system

could you imagine the wire needed to handle 350A @12 volts for any amount of time.

All Electric turbos/superchargers are complete and total BS, a complete scam. Run Away!

Say it takes 50 HP to run an eaton M90 at 12 psi (conservative round number guess). Have you ever seen the size of a 50 HP electric motor? Or the Alternators/wiring/batteries that would be required to run it?

I'm going to quote another forum (not a member but want to give credit where its due) I'd hate to see a fellow SC enthusiast waste money when they could spend it on parts that work. and I quote:

bobc45511-22-2006, 12:34 PM
They can. Just a few "real world" problems to overcome.

Fist, you would need a huge electric motor to do it- figure about 20HP (just to establish a "ballpark"). And 20HP would put a hell of a draw on the electrical system, not to mention be very heavy and probably wouldn't fit under your hood while in the company of your engine.

20 HP is about 15,000 watts, which would equate to 1,250 amps at 12V (assuming 100% efficiency which isn't correct). That's one heck of an alternator. Oh yeah, and don't forget that alternators are very inefficient, I think about 40% (someone can confirm). So you'd need a 3500 amp alternator to keep up. Or if you run it intermittently, you'd need a bank of 3-4 automotive batteries that would take a while to recharge (adding about 100 lbs and taking up more space).

Realistically, you would want to maintain a constant pressure increase as the RPM changes- that means you'd need a variable speed motor controller as well, figure another 10-20 pounds for that. And more efficiency losses. And another thousand dollars or so (provided you could find one to work at 12V).

Frequently you see fans rated at, for example, 800 CFM- however that is only in a free-air situation (~0 delta-P). In order to be useful, the blower has to generate a significant pressure increase at the given airflow- that is what takes the oomph. So when you see an electric supercharger on ebay, be sure to note both the CFM *and* the pressure increase (i.e. boost)- this is where they fall on their face.

Well I wasn't actually planning on buying it. I was just noting that this is the only one that i've see that draws anything more than 1-2 amps. But I agree, electric superchargers, at least all the ones I've seen don't do much... put a restriction in the air intake at worst, and an extra hp load on your engine.

There are a few systems that have been developed that actually work, but I don't think any have been produced, for the reasons listed above. Unless a high voltage system is used, the amperage gets ridiculous. And the motors are large and not cheap.

Back