How hard is it to swap out shocks and struts on my 89SC?

phils89sc

Well, I think I am tired of the non-adjustable Bilteins that were on my 89 SC when I got it. I like the ARC, and on Saturday at a U-pull-it where I live, I found a junked XR7 which still had the ARC computer and 2 actuators. I got the other two actuators from a neighboring 93 MKVIII (rear actuators the same as ARC on SC's). So now, I have everything except for the struts. I don't like the non-adjustable Bilstein's, they ride to soft for me and I don't like not having the choice of what kind of ride I want. I think I am going to buy a set of the Tokico Illumina 2's, I just don't know where to buy them at! Does anyone have a source for these Tokico's?

How hard are the new struts / shocks to install? I am fully capable of doing the job, just need to know if there are any special tools required like coil spring compressors, etc.

Thanks in advance.

i took the ride control module out of the car. i might still have it. when i took he tray out from under the rear deck to accomidate my subs. will look for it when i get homt from work, if you need it. text me if you need to.

The rear shocks are easy and don't require any special tools to replace. The fronts are struts and you will want to get a spring compressor in order to replace them. I used the weight of my car to remove one side and take my advise, it is a lot easier to just buy a spring compressor. Otherwise, its not that hard to do. You just have to take the front suspension apart to do the job and you will want to get an alignment done because you gotta remove the camber bolts. At least thats what I did on my car.

Chris

If your experienced in this kind of work it might take you 4-5 hours to do it all maybe quicker. Otherwise it may be a good weekend job especially if you run into problems.

Last edited:
The fronts are not struts. They are coil-over shocks.

I've done shocks on the front many times without a spring compressor.

here is the procedure.

The only thing I disagree with is the length of time. I can do it way faster.

You absolutely do not need a spring compressor.

1) Jack the car up, remove front wheels and separate sway bar end link from spindle. Do both sides.

2) Re install wheel with a couple nuts and lower car.

3) Undo 18MM nut on top of both shocks and raise car back up.

4) Secure the vehicle with jack stands and use your jack under the lower control arm to take enough tension off the front suspension to remove the upper control arm to spindle bolt and separate upper control arm from spindle.

5) Lower jack to relax spring. Undo lower shock mount bolt and remove assembly. Do both sides, reverse proceedure to re-install.

At no time in this process is a loaded spring handled in any way. The rear is actually more difficult. Removing the stock springs is a ~~~~ and will be made easier by removing the bump stop inside the spring first. Be sure to remove the sway bar end links and disconnect the upper control arm before attempting removal of the spring.

The whole job can be done in about 4 hours without breaking a sweat. Add 1.5 hrs for the Koni's.

Back