PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Smell from Vapor Canister

Raymondo
10-26-2010, 06:13 PM
I have this constant fuel smell from the Vapor Canister...and ideas why? I have checked the lines and even replaced the deteriorating rubber connecting lines.

Thanks!
Ray

rzimmerl
10-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Either the canister itself needs replaced or the canister purge valve is not working properly and needs replaced. I had to replace both on an LX I had, and have done the same this year on the SC.

96SCbird
10-27-2010, 02:05 AM
There is supposed to be a vent cap, but if it is missing it will let out vapors. The top of the cap is a half-dome.

rzimmerl
10-27-2010, 08:55 AM
There is supposed to be a vent cap, but if it is missing it will let out vapors. The top of the cap is a half-dome.

Its going to let out some vapors, its a vent. If the system is working properly the canister purge valve should allow it all to be sucked into the engine.

Raymondo
10-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Well the cap is still there. Can I pick up a canister and valve from another standard bird?

S_Mazza
10-27-2010, 06:09 PM
I just replaced my solenoid valve with an OEM part I found on Amazon for about $40. It's possible to replace the valve without removing anything else by reaching up from the bumper and down behind the headlight. (This takes patience.) Removing the fender liner won't get you anywhere unless you remove the air silencer / water stopper. To get at the canister itself, you will have to remove the fender liner and air silencer / water stopper.

It seems to have solved the fuel smell problem I had. I thought the charcoal canister was bad, but it may have just been saturated with fuel vapor because the bad solenoid kept it from ever getting purged.

I think that both parts interchange with the LX Thunderbirds / Cougars of the same vintage.