Might be buying a 95 SC but have a question about overheating

bkosonen

So I really want this car, its a 95 SC 5SPD. The car is located about 4 hours away so I cant really just go over and see it. But from talking with the guy, here is what I have and I hope you guys can tell me if its a easy fix or not:

The car has been sitting for a little bit and he took it on the freeway and it started to get hot. on the gauge. I don't think it boiled over. He things the T-state is stuck, also he said it did it on the freeway, he is going to go out tomorrow and start it up and let it run and see if it heats up and will see if the fans turn on. The oil is nice and clean. no coolant in there. Car runs GREAT he said. What do you guys think? The car has 180,000 I think he said. Is that to many miles on these cars?

So I really want this car, its a 95 SC 5SPD. The car is located about 4 hours away so I cant really just go over and see it. But from talking with the guy, here is what I have and I hope you guys can tell me if its a easy fix or not:

The car has been sitting for a little bit and he took it on the freeway and it started to get hot. on the gauge. I don't think it boiled over. He things the T-state is stuck, also he said it did it on the freeway, he is going to go out tomorrow and start it up and let it run and see if it heats up and will see if the fans turn on. The oil is nice and clean. no coolant in there. Car runs GREAT he said. What do you guys think? The car has 180,000 I think he said. Is that to many miles on these cars?

Depends on how much you can get it for........ 180k is a lot for a 95...imho

how's the interior, exterior, rust, engine rebuilt?

He is ASKING $1500, has flowmaster exhaust, lowered, no rust, body looks really good. inside looks good. full leather. new clutch.

sounds pretty good for that, for a 95 5 speed.....I have a feeling it's gonna have issues under the hood for $1500...don't let the exterior luer you into a mess....really look it over....and of course drive it...but if you can do the engine work, go for it. good luck

I can do the work not a prob. Just would like to know more on what could be causing it to overheat before I go there. What is the biggest cause on these? Thermostat, Coolant temp sensor?

I can do the work not a prob. Just would like to know more on what could be causing it to overheat before I go there. What is the biggest cause on these? Thermostat, Coolant temp sensor?

IMHO, for a 95, I say get it! However, with the overheating issue, he needs to be very honest with you about the nature of the overheating. You should ask him how well it runs, at idle, at speed, etc. The reason why I say this is more than likely, it is one of two things:

1) The best case scenario is that the radiator is plugged up and it just cannot keep up with the engine in bringing down the temp of the coolant.

2) Worst case, the Head Gasket(s) have given out and the reason why it is overheating is because it blows hot exhaust into the water jacket around the affected cylinder(s). This not only heats the coolant, but overpressurizes the cooling system. In this case, you get a huge loss of coolant, usually through the exhaust and / or out of the coolant overflow bottle. I would have him start the car, get it to the point where it is almost overheating and have him check the coolant level in the overflow reservoir and see if alot of air bubble are coming into it. Also have him tell you whether the heater is working or not. Lots of times, the heater will not blow warm air when the HG's let go. Also ask if there is any smoke coming from the exhause, particularly white smoke, indicating it is 'burning' coolant that is being sucked back into the cylinder.

Of course, this all depends on how honest the seller is. But, if you go into it with the expectation that the head gaskets are shot, it will be alot easier to accept. If you are willing to undertake the job of replacing the head gaskets, and there is alot of info on this board for doing just that, then I would go for it.

These cars are awesome! All years, but they, like every other car on the road, have their moments and common failure points. Unfortunately, for our beloved SC's, the common failure point is the weak head gasket design. This can be drastically improved though when changing them out with a proper machine shop to work over the heads, using a Felpro head gaskets up gasket and seal set, and buying / installing a set of ARP head studs (part number in forums somewhere).

Good luck and if you get it, welcome to our world!!

IMHO, for a 95, I say get it! However, with the overheating issue, he needs to be very honest with you about the nature of the overheating. You should ask him how well it runs, at idle, at speed, etc. The reason why I say this is more than likely, it is one of two things:

1) The best case scenario is that the radiator is plugged up and it just cannot keep up with the engine in bringing down the temp of the coolant.

2) Worst case, the Head Gasket(s) have given out and the reason why it is overheating is because it blows hot exhaust into the water jacket around the affected cylinder(s). This not only heats the coolant, but overpressurizes the cooling system. In this case, you get a huge loss of coolant, usually through the exhaust and / or out of the coolant overflow bottle. I would have him start the car, get it to the point where it is almost overheating and have him check the coolant level in the overflow reservoir and see if alot of air bubble are coming into it. Also have him tell you whether the heater is working or not. Lots of times, the heater will not blow warm air when the HG's let go. Also ask if there is any smoke coming from the exhause, particularly white smoke, indicating it is 'burning' coolant that is being sucked back into the cylinder.

Of course, this all depends on how honest the seller is. But, if you go into it with the expectation that the head gaskets are shot, it will be alot easier to accept. If you are willing to undertake the job of replacing the head gaskets, and there is alot of info on this board for doing just that, then I would go for it.

These cars are awesome! All years, but they, like every other car on the road, have their moments and common failure points. Unfortunately, for our beloved SC's, the common failure point is the weak head gasket design. This can be drastically improved though when changing them out with a proper machine shop to work over the heads, using a Felpro head gaskets up gasket and seal set, and buying / installing a set of ARP head studs (part number in forums somewhere).

Good luck and if you get it, welcome to our world!!

Thanks man, that is just the info I was looking for. He seems very honest so far. He said its NOT a HG, there is no loss of coolant, and there is no steam from the exhaust, and the oil is clean. But I will have him do that test for me.

car

i would just go over buy the car pull the t stat out put it back together and drive it home for better diagnosis

Back