Installing Driveshaft

cyoder

Ok so I need your help. This is my very first time taking anything out and installing anything on the bottom side of the car. I have installed a brand new tci streetfighter transmission and torque converter. I have to reuse my old driveshaft for now until I find another one. Anyways I dont know if this transmission is shorter or what but when I insert the driveshaft into the transmission I cant bolt the driveshaft up because it seems to short. Is there supposed to be another piece that I am missing?

Attachments

• Driveshaft.jpg
    Driveshaft.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 109
Double check the Ford part numbers on the tailshafts to see if they are different. I know I had to change the shift lever and TV lever on the side of the trans to the Tbird lever when I installed my TCI, that involves removing the valvebody to do. Its a general crate trans so you have to go thru and check to make sure you have the parts specific for the Tbird.

I swapped out the shift linkage already when I first got it because I noticed that it was different, but I never even thought of the tailshaft ill check when I get home.

Just got home and both part numbers match on the tailshafts. Part numbers are RF-EOAP-7A040-BD. What else could be the problem here?

The driveshaft does not go all the way to the yoke in the trans, the way its shown in your picture looks just fine if the other end is against the pinion flange.

Yea, the drive shaft position looks good if the other side is butted up against the diff flange.
But you should be putting in new u-joints while you can get to them. I just had to replace a bad one and it's a bit of work for a $20 part.
If you plan to maintain them, then get some that you can grease, they will last longer. If you're not gonna maintain them then get the non greasable variety.
I have never heard of someone breaking a u-joint on an SC, they fail from bearing erosion.

Bob

Back