New Guy question

bkosonen

Since I'm looking for a SC, Should I hold out for a 94 or 95 since it seems like they are alot better. Also how reliable are these? Would 180K be to many miles?

well im new to the sc world also but had a 94 4.6. id say 180... miles is alot. if ya do buy it the first thing id do is swap out the balncer with a good bhj. i need to do this on mine that i just got. its currently broke. also with this many miles id be concerened about worn out bushings, suspension components, engine, junky aod if its an auto. anyways if ya get it cheap enough itd be a good start. all just my opinion.

Since I'm looking for a SC, Should I hold out for a 94 or 95 since it seems like they are alot better. Also how reliable are these? Would 180K be to many miles?

180K isn't that bad. It all depends on how it was maintained by the previous owners. 94-95 are not necessarily 'better', but Ford's NVH (Noise Vibration and Harshness) program had started then, greatly improving the quality of most of Fords cars. The basic SC 3.8 had not changed much save for the higher flow intake and updated M90 Supercharger. There may have been other changes to the engine, but overall, it is the same. If you are considering the $1500 94 that you found and asked about a couple of days ago, dude, go for it! IMHO, I would rather by one that needs head gaskets, fix it myself, with the ARP studs, upgraded exhaust, ported exhaust manifolds, etc, and then driver her knowing it was fixed right then get one that runs already, and be waiting for a head gasket to fail. But that is just me. I'll tell you what, if you don't buy it, please let me have the name of the current owner and I will buy it! :)

-Phil

Also my big problem is I want the 94 that I was talking about, but I want to find out why its overheating because I dont have a trailer to trailer it home to work on it.

Also my big problem is I want the 94 that I was talking about, but I want to find out why its overheating because I dont have a trailer to trailer it home to work on it.

Another trick, if the car is overheating is to turn on the heater and roll down the windows. Turn the heater on full blast!! Also find out if it is actually overheating or just running hot.

Did you ever ask the owner to see if bubble came up into the overflow bottle?

I texted him and he was busy yesterday. He said it never boiled over and he said he turned the heat on right away when he saw the gauge creeping up. My guess is 1. the T-stat is stuck closed, 2. the fans arnt turning out 3 the senser at the T-stat housing is bad and not activating the fans. are the T-states easy to get to on these? I could always TAKE out the T-state for the drive home lol.

I texted him and he was busy yesterday. He said it never boiled over and he said he turned the heat on right away when he saw the gauge creeping up. My guess is 1. the T-stat is stuck closed, 2. the fans arnt turning out 3 the senser at the T-stat housing is bad and not activating the fans. are the T-states easy to get to on these? I could always TAKE out the T-state for the drive home lol.

The thermostat is fairly easy to get to, with some extensions. But you could still have a HG problem.

Yeah, Im thinking I might pass on this one. It has a Salvage title. I'm looking at a 93 with 140,000 miles the Harmonic ballencer has been replace but the Sunroof leaks alittle. Its a 5 speed also. Is there really that much different with 93 to 94?

Back