Will the front windshield cowlings from a 97 Tbird fit and 89?

phils89sc

I picked up a pair at my local pull-a-part. The wipers come through at the same location, but the screw holes don't line up. they seem to be much improved over the 89-93 design and seal better at the windshield. Anyone ever done this? I only paid like $5.00 for them.

Thanks in advance. Phil

HMM STRANGE I GOT A SET OF 1995 ONES AND THEY FIT MY 1992 BIRD. THEY HAVE THE NICE SEAL AT THE GLASS AND ARE SMOOTHER LOOKING. THE ONLYTHING i HAD TO CHANGE WAS THE VERY OUTER SCREWS DIDNT WORK

THE SPRAYERS ARE MUCH BETTER ON LATER CARS ALSO.

Screw holes dont line up between the two different cowls .. you would need to make new mounting points for them.

- Dan

I can be done...but like was said, the mounting holes are different.

Here are some ugly pictures of how I did it... don't have "after" pictures, but it looks stock...nice-n-clean too. :cool:

It would be better to cut the whole strip off a later car, remove the old 89 one, then weld the new strip on, but this has to be done with the windshield out for a few reasons. If you have a dremel tool, a bench grinder, some patience and time, you can do what I did and have it look real nice.

If you just want a quick-job, you can just drill new holes in the skinny mounting piece and be done with it, but without the play that the plastic screw-inserts have, it will probably warp or look weird...not to mention be harder to install.

Attachments

• P9170002.JPG
    P9170002.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 74
  • P9170004.JPG
    P9170004.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 72
  • P9170009.JPG
    P9170009.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 75
  • P9170010.JPG
    P9170010.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 74
  • P9170011.JPG
    P9170011.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 72
Almost forgot...in order to make the upper cowl pieces fit the lower cowl pieces, you have to do a little trimming on the lower pieces too....nothing major though.

If you want to upgrade your wiper motor to the 96/97 style while you're at it, let me know. It's built much better and shouldn't go out as easily as the old ones do. :cool:

Back