Where to get a new chip

thebigempire

Don't know a bunch about my 91' I just got it running after it sat for 7 years. Thanks to everyone who has helped me. I have never worked on or built a computer controlled engine before this car. I have been building and racing big chevy's for many years. I would think that if I want a bigger cam I will have to adjust the timing through the eec. So, where do I go to get a chip for this car, are there programmers you can get or do you have to order the chip to suite? Does anyone make a solid cam for this engine, would you want one? In a all out drag race does the intercooler really make things better.

Dave Dalke can answer all your questions...I dont think you would want a solid cam because adjusting rockers on this engine would take forever as you would have to pull the blower to get to them. This car in general is not the best for drag racing unless you simply really love the car and have to have it as a dragger. Some people want the challenge of making the 3.8 SC fast without switching to a turbo or a different engine.

I wanted to increase power but keep reliability and low maintenance so that is why I have the setup I have.

Last edited:
The Moates Quarterhorse is the tuning tool of choice giving you complete control over the factory EEC programming. It doesn't come with an operators manual though, so it is best to start off with a baseline developed by someone familiar with your combination and intended use. Feel free to look around, but I can help you with both.

As for the solid cam, yes we run solid rollers on our higher end motors but there are several things that need to be taken into account to operate one successfully. It's definitely not plug and play. I've built and run some for members here.

As for the intercooler and drag racing - absolutely. The amount of boost necessary to make decent power with these motors means charge temps between 300-450 deg so you'll have to cool the charge. Of course if you run E85 the demand for cooling is somewhat reduced but be prepared for extensive fuel system upgrades.

I'm sure some others will pipe up, but this should get you started.

...are there programmers you can get or do you have to order the chip to suite?
In a all out drag race does the intercooler really make things better.

a couple points. The computer in your car doesn't support a "programmer". It doesn't contain flash memory like is available in later model engine computers. So those things you see sold on the Spike TV Powerblock just don't apply to the Tbird SC. You need to get a chip. And the majority of generic chips have proven to be pretty poor. Thus that means you need a custom chip. The Moates Quarterhorse is an example of a Custom chip. There are others, though it is the most common, especially if you wish to be able to data log and tweak your own stuff based on those logs.

Note, you don't see a lot of Intercooler tech when watching NHRA drag racing for a reason. They just are not necessary in those applications. I don't even know if they are legal. The fuels and the amount of fuels they use do enough to cool the air charge sufficiently. For a street car/drag car running unleaded race fuel, you really want a highly efficient intercooler.

Thanks, I'm just not used to the small engines the big ones just seem so much easier. However, this car is so fun to drive and I guess I have to learn to live without a distributor somehow. My car seems stock I put a 94' maf on it any ideas where I should start to add power. I'm not afraid of the tearing into an engine but I know zero about these.

Back