Too much tire for the front? 265 40 18?

ricardoa1

I am wondering if anyone has tried this size in their cars?

I am thinking about going to that size I have 245 45 18s up front right now but id like to fill the 9" rims a little more and also improve handling. I had 255 40 18s before but the tires are slightly shorter then the stock 26.7" and looks ok when I had the car slammed but with the new springs and light weight up front it looked goofy.

Bueler? Bueler?

Non has tried a larger width tire then 255s on this forums. I am looking for better handling the car is front heavy and Id like to try something new for next year. I had 245s and I felt the car just needed more tire.

I use 275/40-17 Hoosiers all around as my race tires. Obviously they worked great. What size are you running in back? I know that the cool thing to do is to put wider tires in back than in front, but that's no good for handling, especially when the front end is heavier than the rear end. I'd recommend using the same tires on all four corners even if you have to reduce the rear tire size a bit.

I got 285s in the back. I wanted the fronts to start getting near the size of the back...What do you run on the streets......I dont want a dedicated race car not sure how much the car will wander with the massive front tires. So I though 265 will be a good compromise. I need the 285 in the back for traction.

I got 285s in the back. I wanted the fronts to start getting near the size of the back...What do you run on the streets......I dont want a dedicated race car not sure how much the car will wander with the massive front tires. So I though 265 will be a good compromise. I need the 285 in the back for traction.

Like most everyone else, on the street I use 255/45-17s all the way around. That's partially because the 255/45 is really the only 17 inch size that's a good match for the stock diameter, but since you have 18s you have several sizes that are a good diameter match to the stock tires.

I understand why people like wider rear tires--they look cool, and more straight-line traction is always good. But sometimes what's best for drag racing and handling are mutually exclusive, so you have to make a compromise. My opinion is that the closer your front tires match your rears, the better your handling will be.

Which tires do you use in front Keith? (Brand and model)

I always thought anything bigger than 245 or 255 would hit the spindle in front?

I'm running 275/40/18 street tires in the back. I've also fit the new Nitto NT05R's in the back in a 285/40/18 without clearance issues. (I haven't rolled my fenders).

Well if 275s don't rub the spindle then I would rather ride on that as my tires selection opens up but I don't know how hard it will be on the PS rack and the pump when parking parallel, Also I can only imagine how the car will wander and tremble on the highway. Its already noticeable with the 245s.

Keith how does your 265 upfront behave? Trembling or Pull on uneven surface?

I know you have mustang offset so you are probably 24MM offset upfront i have 36MM offset so it tucks alot more I dont really know how that will affect and or if it will rub. I ran 255s before but they were 40 profile and they fit but they were shorter then stock and when i got rid of the slammed look it looked goofy. I feel like 255 45 18s has too much sidewall meat and will look goofy too, so thats why I think 265 40 18s might be just right.

Which tires do you use in front Keith? (Brand and model)

I always thought anything bigger than 245 or 255 would hit the spindle in front?

I'm running 275/40/18 street tires in the back. I've also fit the new Nitto NT05R's in the back in a 285/40/18 without clearance issues. (I haven't rolled my fenders).

monkey, 9 or 10in wheel?

They're 18 x 9" rims, front and back.

I'm also running 245/45/18's in front on mine.

Here are a couple of my favorite pictuers of the car so you can see how she looks.

Launch.jpg

IMG_4279copy.jpg

651a.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think different size tires front to back is that big a deal for handling otherwise corvettes and such wouldnt have like a 2" difference between front and back...

Thoughts?

original post deleted. Misread the post and only served to confirm that I have the 245x45x18 as well. And you want something wider?? WoW.

Ira

Last edited:
245-45-18 is the right size...If they seem narrow for a 9" wide wheel then that specific tire must run narrow. Cheaper tires are natorious for running narrow. If its only the rubber band look you are trying to achieve then thats something else entirely.

Its not for looks its for better performance I want the most that will not cause issues.

Seems most new ultra performance luxo barges including some recent muscle cars need the ultra wide front tires because the cars are so heavy nowadays and tire prices have gone down on large rim tires so it makes sense to provide more performance.

My Terminator had 275 tires upfront stock......:eek: Front heavy car, I guess SVT thought it was the right thing to do.

I dont think different size tires front to back is that big a deal for handling otherwise corvettes and such wouldnt have like a 2" difference between front and back...

Thoughts?

There are a ton of variables besides just tire size there. But with that said, Corvettes have much better weight distribution than the SC. It makes no sense to put a narrower tire on the end of the car with 56-59% of the weight on it.

Feel free to test for yourself. Drive an SC with 275s all the way around, then drive one with 245s in front and 275s in back, and let me know which understeers more.

gt500 has 285 in back and 255 up front..Heavy front weight car..Handles great for being that front heavy

You can easily get 19's in that size as thats what they come with. An dno rubber band look

I know you have mustang offset so you are probably 24MM offset upfront i have 36MM offset so it tucks alot more I dont really know how that will affect and or if it will rub. I ran 255s before but they were 40 profile and they fit but they were shorter then stock and when i got rid of the slammed look it looked goofy. I feel like 255 45 18s has too much sidewall meat and will look goofy too, so thats why I think 265 40 18s might be just right.

Rico, the pics of my car in my garage are with a 2" drop running 18x9.5 with a +20 offset and 255/45/18 tires. It rubbed on the fender lips on the outside but cleared the spindle by a lot, I do realize my offset is a bit lower than yours though.

Last edited:
Yeah with my offset I dont have alot of backspace. You and Keith have SN95 offsets Im tempted to try it but the tires are very expensive to have a fail.

Back