5.0 swap into a 94/5 5-speed

sinhumane

i've been searching both here and tccoa all night to try and find everything i need, but i still dont have a clear understanding on what all is required for a swap into a 95 sc 5 speed. (yeah, i know its a 95 5 speed, but i'm set on this swap, please dont fill the thread with babbling about keeping it an sc, reasons why not, etc.)

i have an 87 efi engine from a mustang gt, it was auto, so i will be getting a manual flywheel from an f150 with an f150 starter as i discovered in an old thread.

the couple questions i still have are:

engine harness/ecu, what will and wont work, since my car is a 95?

will the stock sc mounts work with the 5.0 tbird brackets?

what all accessories (i.e. alternator, ps pump, etc.) can i use from the mustang engine?

any insight i can get from you guys would be much appreciated. :)

i've been searching both here and tccoa all night to try and find everything i need, but i still dont have a clear understanding on what all is required for a swap into a 95 sc 5 speed. (yeah, i know its a 95 5 speed, but i'm set on this swap, please dont fill the thread with babbling about keeping it an sc, reasons why not, etc.)

i have an 87 efi engine from a mustang gt, it was auto, so i will be getting a manual flywheel from an f150 with an f150 starter as i discovered in an old thread.

the couple questions i still have are:

engine harness/ecu, what will and wont work, since my car is a 95?

will the stock sc mounts work with the 5.0 tbird brackets?

what all accessories (i.e. alternator, ps pump, etc.) can i use from the mustang engine?

any insight i can get from you guys would be much appreciated. :)

Yeah, I would I know what you mean about the giving you crap thing about putting a 5.0 in there, I say do what you want with it!

I did just this swap, but in an 90 35th Anniversary (GASP!!! Yes, in a 35th!!) I got tired of replacing plug wires and plugs and chasing down little gremlins. What I did was bought a totalled 1992 5.0 LX. I yanked the entire drivetrain (since my AOD had self destructed anyway) and complete wiring harness (engine side) along with any peripherals you may require. I had to do a few mods to the wiring to the EEC but it was pretty straight forward.

What I would suggest for you would be the following:

If you can find it, get from the lower intake up all you can from either a 94-95 5.0 Mustang but preferably from a 91-93 5.0 Tbird. Also get the exhaust manifolds, front accessories, etc. I would personally get a wiring harness from a 92 or 93 5.0L tbird, but be prepared from some alteration on the EEC side of the harness. The best thing to do it get the factory wiring diagrams from both your 94 SC and from whatever year car you get the 5.0 parts (get Tbird stuff man, trust me). Also get a good magnifying glass, you will need it to trace lines on the diagram. Alot of times, you can find these at, of all places, the public library.

I can help you more, but I gotta get to work. PM me if you I can help you more. -Phil

as far as wiring goes, i am going to just go whole hog and run EDIS with megasquirt. found the info i need to do the swap for that.

only issues that could present themselves are accessory placement, clutch to gt flywheel compatibility, and mounts on a late model k member.

Can't give any advice on the clutch/flywheel but you'll need the mn12 or 94/5 mustang accessories and brackets to clear the radiator/fan. I think the motor mounts are a different height as well

was planning on using my stock sc mounts with the 5.0 bird brackets.

another question, what size and how many teeth are our flywheels? the 95.

if its 164 tooth, i would be able to reuse my starter.

plan is to run EDIS controlled by megasquirtII, and the simplest way will be with an explorer harmonic balancer (has the 36-1 trigger wheel), edis 8 module from any lincoln or bird with a 4.6, along with an explorer timing cover, crank and cam sensor. all wired nice n neat to a cannon plug that pops right in. :)

like i said, the physical fit is all i have to worry about, and thats really only the engine mounting, and compatibility with my m5r2, since i/m keeping the manual trans in it.

Cam Sensor..

Don't recall the 5.0 ever having a cam sensor. I believe they used dizzies all the way up 'til the mod-motors replaced it.
I am working up an EDIS 8 system for a 460 (cam sensor not required for EDIS, it's used for efi timing) that will be SEFI also using a 5.0 'bird ecu and harness, '94 SC crank trigger mounted on a spacer behind the HB. 4.6 EDIS 8 controller from a CV, '93 SC cam sensor with an adapter to fit the 460 dizzy hole and raise the sensor to proper height (shaft is same dia. as 460 but longer and the shutter is welded to shaft) and fit the shaft with a 460 dizzy gear.
Just started working the engine harness. Get a set of "Big Sheets" and an EVTM for the year of bird you have/taking most of parts from. Available from Helm Inc. (can order on line).
Various pig-tail connectors can be had through the dealer(good luck) or Rock Auto. I got my coil packs and most of my pig-tail connector from them.
Good luck, keep us posted.
MikeH

• For the flywheel you can reuse the SC's flywheel and starter aslong as you have the Flywheel rebalanced for the 5.0L
  • Starters, if you use the F-150 flywheel the ring gear is in a different location then the AOD Flexplate or MN12 M5R2 Flywheel ring gear, hence why a F150 starter is needed for use with the F-150 flywheel
  • try to get MN12 Accessory bracket at best, SN95 as a last resort (can be worked, but you will need to get a MN12 or SN95 Water pump to go with them, timing cover i think MAY be the same?
  • Screw it being a '94 5spd, your car do as you want. ALOT of people think they are sitting on a Gold mind with these cars, but they aren't worth much, who'll want a car that you can hardly can get parts for, a Pain to work on, and take 92+ OCTANE FUEL!!!!

I was basically the pioneer (when i did it, i think there was one other that did it, and we helped each other out it figuring it out) of the m5R2 swap into an 5.0L MN12 so connecting those two together i can help you out with :)

the 98-01 ford explorer were the only 5.0 vehicles with EDIS. i will be using the timing cover, crank sensor and 50 oz. balancer with the timing ring from one.

the cam sensor isnt going to be connected.. wont be used with megasquirt, but it will be needed as the stalk of it drives the oil pump.

first motor fell through, but scored a 41k mile 5.0 efi from an 87 marquis for a sweet deal.

soon as i get the funds scraped together, i'll be ordering a new explorer cover, sensors, and balancer, and scouring the junkyards for an edis8 module and coilpacks.

first motor fell through, but scored a 41k mile 5.0 efi from an 87 marquis for a sweet deal.

soon as i get the funds scraped together, i'll be ordering a new explorer cover, sensors, and balancer, and scouring the junkyards for an edis8 module and coilpacks.

You do know that the motor from the Marquis is not an HO motor right? I don't even think they are a roller motor. I could be wrong, but only the Mustang and the MarkVII had the HO 302's for that year.

this is fine. it will be getting some gt40 heads, a nice cam and a cobra intake.

it also came with an ho upper and lower with the ho injectors/fuel rail. :)

this is fine. it will be getting some gt40 heads, a nice cam and a cobra intake.

it also came with an ho upper and lower with the ho injectors/fuel rail. :)

For the cam, if go get a roller cam, you may have to get the girdle and attaching hardware from a roller block. I am not sure if the non-roller 5.0's had the threaded bosses in the lifter valley for the lifter hold-down girdle. Another thing worth mentioning, the factory HO intake will NOT fit under the factory hood, sits too high up. Something to think about. What you should really try to get your hands on would be a 94-95 Mustang Cobra Upper and lower intake. I believe this will fit under the factory hood and everything is already set up to accept your cable (throttle, C/C). This is actually a GT-40 Lower with a cast aluminum GT-40 upper that is lower rise for the 94 Mustang design hood. It still flows a lot better than the factory 87 upper / lower intake.

Last edited:
Don't take this in the wrong context, but I'm not seeing how the swap to a v8 is any easier or cheaper than rebuilding the 3.8 to make serious power :rolleyes:.

Just wondering is all, so don't attack me.

Fraser

i havent cracked it open, but from what i have read, after 87, all the 5.0 motors were roller. not just the ho. but they DID have the standard firing order, not the 351w firing order. would need an HO cam with the proper order, but thsi would be easy to swap to since i am going edis. will verify the roller part when i get in there. the valley would have the bosses for the roller kit, as you can buy the kits anywhere for retrofit, and i have the holddown, roller lifters, pushrods, springs, etc... all but a cam.

found a gt40 cobra intake, i have HO injectors, i'll buy a nice mild cam, and find a set of gt40 heads with exhaust manifolds. should let that motor breathe.

i managed to get a nice clean low mile engine, versus something with 150+k from a beat up abused mustang. going to go with what i have for now. after the swap if i want to build a nice forged block, i can do so.

i think i can squeeze 300 out of a non ho with a good topend.

and as for rebuilding the 3.8, its not what i want to do. i have an sc to tinker on already and i just want a v8. not going to attack you if you have any valid advice to offer. :)

Don't take this in the wrong context, but I'm not seeing how the swap to a v8 is any easier or cheaper than rebuilding the 3.8 to make serious power :rolleyes:.

Just wondering is all, so don't attack me.

Fraser

Note biting anything off, but if you put a supercharger, especially a roots type eaton, on a 5.0 or 4.6, would is not still be an 'SC'? I think it would be awesome to have a 5.0 or 4.6, roots supercharged, and put the M5R2 5speed behind it...That would be a nice hybrid!!

Note biting anything off, but if you put a supercharger, especially a roots type eaton, on a 5.0 or 4.6, would is not still be an 'SC'? I think it would be awesome to have a 5.0 or 4.6, roots supercharged, and put the M5R2 5speed behind it...That would be a nice hybrid!!

I wasn't saying anything about an SC or not, and yes I do have an opinion on that as well but again I won't say it here... it just I've seen so many people around here saying its cheaper just to dump the 3.8 and swap a 5.0 and you'll get more power right there and then AND more reliability and so on.

I'd offer some advise as far as the engine management goes, but I know I'll get roasted for suggesting it.

I'll just step aside and observe :).

Fraser

I wasn't saying anything about an SC or not, and yes I do have an opinion on that as well but again I won't say it here... it just I've seen so many people around here saying its cheaper just to dump the 3.8 and swap a 5.0 and you'll get more power right there and then AND more reliability and so on.

I'd offer some advise as far as the engine management goes, but I know I'll get roasted for suggesting it.

I'll just step aside and observe :).

Fraser

I say just go ahead and say it!! I love the 3.8L Sc engine, I just don't like the HG issues. As far as making more HP when compared to a SC'd 3.8L, I think it takes more internal mods to the V8 to make more power than you can say by upgrading the intake and supercharger on our SC's stock longblock. I know from first hand cause I did that same swap in a 35th anniversary SC I had (3.8L to 5.0). I kicked myself for it to...Lack of torque, and the lack of that oh so sweet SC whine....that is why I said if you are gonna swap in a v8 in place of the 3.8L, might as well supercharge it!

I say just go ahead and say it!! I love the 3.8L Sc engine, I just don't like the HG issues. As far as making more HP when compared to a SC'd 3.8L, I think it takes more internal mods to the V8 to make more power than you can say by upgrading the intake and supercharger on our SC's stock longblock. I know from first hand cause I did that same swap in a 35th anniversary SC I had (3.8L to 5.0). I kicked myself for it to...Lack of torque, and the lack of that oh so sweet SC whine....that is why I said if you are gonna swap in a v8 in place of the 3.8L, might as well supercharge it!

Or turbocharge it :cool:

David

Or turbocharge it :cool:

David

david... this is why you are tha man :)

as far as my reason behind swapping... i have two sc's. i want something different, cheaper to buy parts for and easier to maintain. 5.0 is this. not a terrible many sc's have 5.0 swaps in them, replacement parts are always going cheap on craigslist, and i can make power on a dime.

atleast i'm not putting an lsx in it. :rolleyes:

frit, i know, quarterhorse... but i just sold mine, i am going EDIS, and megasquirt is the simpler solution for running/managing EDIS on an engine that was not made with it. there are tons of writeups on swapping EDIS and managing with MS. its a proven method and it works.

Back