Two days its been fixed and its broken again! Motor Mounts

sts70004

So I broke my passenger motor mount today, after having it back for only two days :mad: Anyone here have any horror stories about OEM Hydraulic or the Solid Rubber ones from AutoZone?

So I broke my passenger motor mount today, after having it back for only two days :mad: Anyone here have any horror stories about OEM Hydraulic or the Solid Rubber ones from AutoZone?

Any of the liquid filled ones suck and the cheaper solid ones probably won't handle a 5-speed SC too well, especially if you are the kind of driver that like to side-step the clutch and shift pretty hard. You might want to consider a good set of polyurethane mounts and possibly some sort torque strap for the driver's side mount.

I have solid rubber mounts for years now with no problems. The passenger side would be the least likely to break so I wonder if you have something else going on?

Ken

I have solid rubber mounts for years now with no problems. The passenger side would be the least likely to break so I wonder if you have something else going on?

Ken

Well wheel hop may have been slightly involved..... I was planning on a torque strap too when I get it all done.

Can I replace just the passenger side with an AutoZone mount (its my only covered transportation, and its getting to be a little too wet and cold for my motorcycle) and get the other side from RockAuto and do it when it comes in?

Well wheel hop may have been slightly involved..... I was planning on a torque strap too when I get it all done.

A torque strap is a good fix for eliminating engine movement and Im surprised more people dont have them installed;)

Ken

Well I wanted to but the mounts weren't broken yet, so I figured I'd just wait till I'm in there doing it all. But now I need pictures of torque straps or a how to lol. I have the basic idea of how they work but no application specific info. Where do I mount the strap on the engine, where on the chassis, and how much slack should it have, etc... Any help would be appreciated :rolleyes:

Well I wanted to but the mounts weren't broken yet, so I figured I'd just wait till I'm in there doing it all. But now I need pictures of torque straps or a how to lol. I have the basic idea of how they work but no application specific info. Where do I mount the strap on the engine, where on the chassis, and how much slack should it have, etc... Any help would be appreciated :rolleyes:

it would also be nice to know this info also.. to do the same to my sc before i set the motor back in or as it goes in.:rolleyes:

Count me in for torque strap info as well. Since my engine will be coming back with more giddyup than it left with, might as well do a torque strap too.

Sean

Looking at my motor mounts and the way its setup, I don't see where a torque strap has any benefit at all.... my motor has at most about an 1/8" to move against the rubber stop on the driver's side... as it is it is against that stop.

I'm running solid rubber mounts and have been for 5 years now, and the motor barely moves, and there hasn't been any settling.

Fraser

Mine is attached to the drivers side accessary bracket and bolts to the K member. That is not going to work for most people since my set up is quite diffrent from stock. It is fully adjustable and allows about 1/8 to 3/16 at the most movement on my engine. It originally belong to David Neibert so it is probably worth big bucks now:eek::D:D

Looking at my motor mounts and the way its setup, I don't see where a torque strap has any benefit at all.... my motor has at most about an 1/8" to move against the rubber stop on the driver's side... as it is it is against that stop.

I'm running solid rubber mounts and have been for 5 years now, and the motor barely moves, and there hasn't been any settling.

Fraser

I'm not sure about that. My old sc had bolt on mods and it not only crushed the rubber into pieces. It bent the plates. On the driver side if I remember right, they are double stacked and welded together. I had to put it in a vice and bend them back. But there's a catch......I noticed all this after I replaced the broken fluid filled mounts.

I'm not sure about that. My old sc had bolt on mods and it not only crushed the rubber into pieces. It bent the plates. On the driver side if I remember right, they are double stacked and welded together. I had to put it in a vice and bend them back. But there's a catch......I noticed all this after I replaced the broken fluid filled mounts.

If the mounts where already shot and it was slamming against that then I can what your describing. I changed mine out before they let go. Its all good even today on my car.

Fraser

Does a balanced rotating assembly make a difference with engine torquing?

Sean

Going to long tube headers, required the deletion of the torque strap I had been using for several years. To limit engine movement and to prevent tearing the driver's side mount, we welded some keystock material into the movement limiting window on the driver's side motor mount bracket. This causes the tang attached to the upper mounting bracket to contact the lower backet after about 1/8" of movement. I'm also using the rubber cushion thingy.

Here are some pictures of another method of limiting movement.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=432186&postcount=1

This post has pictures of my old torque strap.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6442&highlight=torque+strap

David

Last edited:
Back