want to run this buy you guys

birdlessmuz

i am building a ram air system. my plan im going to put 3"tallx9"wide heating duct placed next to fog light behind bumper so you cant see it run 3" piping up through hole where air box is now into a tin box with panel k&n filter at 45 degree angle in middle of box air comes up from bottom through filter then run to tb. in the tin box im leaving a 1" slot in back to put a sheet of dry ice seperated from filter area to super cool air. so what do you think? any suggestions? doesnt get driven in rain or snow so should i worry about water making up into the box? i also was thinking of puting a shut off valve that i can open and close from inside car in case i get caught in rain.

one more question how much heat does cia pick up being next to engine? would raping it with exhaust tape help heat transfer? or even diffrent material with thicker walls like pvc prevent this transfer?

one more question how much heat does cia pick up being next to engine? would raping it with exhaust tape help heat transfer? or even diffrent material with thicker walls like pvc prevent this transfer?

The important thing is to make sure that the air filter is not able to draw in hot air from the engine bay.

Wrapping the CAI tubes is pointless because the air is moving through those short pipes way to fast to pick up any measurable heat from anything.

Fraser

What are you trying to achieve with the "RAM AIR" set up you describe?

Before you start talking "RAM AIR"... read this article in it's entirity.
it is VERY informative and really makes you think twice about what "RAM AIR" is and how effective it truely is.

http://www.karlsnet.com/mopar/ramair.shtml

Last edited:
I'd spend the effort on cooling the air after the SC. That is an easy temperature to to drop than the air coming into the air filter.

I'm just not sure you'd see any benefits from the idea - but you could still try.

http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=82

SCP 3" Fresh-Air Induction System

thumbBuilder.ashx

+

http://www.jegs.com/i/March-Performance/655/1420/10002/-1?parentProductId=745025

March Performance 1420 - March Ram Air System

655-1420.jpg

= easy ram air for an SC.

This setup was on my car when I got it. I firmly believe it did some good in the upper MPH. When I upgraded to a 3.5" fresh air system I left the scoop and ducting on the car and it is no longer a sealed system. It's really annoying because the engine bay is NEVER clean. It picks up tons of debris from the road.

This setup was on my car when I got it. I firmly believe it did some good in the upper MPH.

I would tend to agree with that statement... high MPH/SPEED it just helps the engine breathe. Theories aside, if I push ANY air into an engine it has to help!
Might not be what is called "RAM AIR" but COOLER air that has ANY pressure behind it has got to be better than the engine just trying to suck in air, especially hot engine bay air!?

The important thing is to make sure that the air filter is not able to draw in hot air from the engine bay.

Wrapping the CAI tubes is pointless because the air is moving through those short pipes way to fast to pick up any measurable heat from anything.

Fraser

for WOT i agree 100%, for driving around and interstate driving i reduced my act's by an average of 35f by wrapping the ic tubes with dynoliner 1/8 inch think with sticky back and used some exhaust wrap for a 10inch section on the return tube that runs past the header. i also wrapped the intake tube from the filter to the tb and boxed off the air filter from the engine compartment.

Back