Going to be picking up a 93 SC 600 miles away......

bkosonen

So I will be flying to LA to pick up a SC out there. I have asked tons of questions and he has been very honest. Besides the normal oil and what not. What should I look for before the big trip. Kinda nervous to make a trip on a car I have not looked over lol

you should plan to do something else while out there so just in case the deal falls through you arent at a total loss...

Make sure you drive it 1st and make sure boost and vacuum checks out.

temp and leaks...

is it a stick or auto?

flush the coolant, run a code scan to make sure EVERYTHING checks out. check for vac leaks, pressurize the cooling system to look for leaks (i.e. headgaskets) check tires, brakes, etc.

and what big e said. get it up on stands and do a shakedown on the suspension. depending on the mileage, the strut rod bushings, upper control arm, and tie rods may be in need of replacing, and you dont want those failing on you.

Has it been parked for any time at all or driven regularly?

Give it a good shakedown of 30 minutes or so before you head out.

If it's in any kind of decent shape at all, 600 miles to home should be easy, tho :)

AAA Roadside and a reliable cell phone in any case. And a radar detector...

All of the above then;

Going East the Desert is beautiful this time of yr. Vegas calls.

N. is 1 or what they have renamed it up the coast.

Monterey , Carmel and Big Sur.

What an opportunity.

Enjoy.

Paul

Thanks guys. It has been parked but started and driven now and then. However he is driving it everyday tell I get there on the 11th. It's in really good shape. He said the strut might be going out but thats all. Good tires. He put new motor mounts and a HJB balencer on it. On a 93 to check codes do I just jumper the obd port? And see what flashes. I have a cooling system psi tester. And AAA would be good.

I'd just check the oil and coolant levels, then fill it up with 91 or better octane and hit the road. Bring a cell phone, a couple hundred in cash and a credit card.

Don't do any full power playing around until you are close to home.

David

I got my 5speed with 80k on it and the 1st thing that blew was my waterpump...but like stated previously just dont mess with it until you get closer to home

Suspension would be the least on my worries...I would just make sure she will run all the way home ;)

Back