Help diagnosing wheel bearing noise

90turbo1

so not a SC but its a 1999 F-150 4x4 extended cab. 5.4 transfer case on floor. ect ect.

its got a bad wheel bearing noise and I cant rember what the old rule of thumb is.

if I drive straight and hit 35 and above the noise is there low pitched rumbleing noise. i cannot tell in interior what side it is.

if I turn to the right the noise remains constant (above the 35mph threshold)
but if I turn left (like on a freeway onramp) noise goes away completely.

what do you guys think.

thanks

yeah ok, thats the conventional thinking i hear from everyone. but... about a month ago I replaced that wheel bearing on the left side and I rember the noise didnt change one bit after i installed that bearing.

what are some other possibilitys that could make a wheel bearing type noise that goes away turning left?

i need to get under truck and hook up my chassis ears to the truck and drive it I guess. just cant find time and I dont wana shot gun 180 dollar wheel bearings at it.

well if you can get any play in the wheels when jacked up thats usually a sign of a worn wheel bearing. My sc and subaru after some odd noises showed up this way.

Just trying to help............

no I know, thats why it is baffling to me also, now I dont count out the fact that I may have gotten a bad replacement bearing but i would think the noise would change some from bearing to bearing.

I was told that maybee my spider gears in the front diff may cause this noise, as the drive axles turn with the wheels constantly, but are disconected by the vacuum solenoid on the diff.

is this a possiblilty, there is no metal in front diff fluid. (changed with new bearing)

raise vehicle up on all 4 jackstands...

get someone in the truck and put it in 4 wheel high and put the truck in drive

as the wheels are turning have someone LIGHTLY push on the gas pedal to about 2000 rpms or 25-30 mph

with the wheels spinning grab the coil spring you will feel a grinding or vibration in the spring itself that will be more noticable on the bad side

but rule of thumb if the noise is there going straight and you turn left and it goes away then it is the left bearing, as if you turn right and it goes away then its the right one because you are removing the load from that bearing

FIXED!!!

It was the pass front wheel bearing, replaced it and noise is gone and car is smooth as a babys rear end... ha ha

what I dont understand is that if the pass side is the faulty one, why did the noise go away when turning left and putting load on that bearing.... contrary to all suggestions from most people.

Back