PDA

View Full Version : Hole in Differential cover???

AWD1990Tsi
11-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Hey all. I was just out driving today, and at some point something put a hole in my rear differential cover. I'm not sure when, and the only reason I noticed it was the rear end was covered in gear oil when I got home. So it happened sometime within a 30 mile span between my friends house and my house.

But I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when driving. And it still continued to drive fine. So I'm wondering what on earth could have put a hole in it? And what should I be looking for when I get the cover off to replace it? And does anyone know where I could get a new diff cover? Money and time are both kind of a key issue right now. So any and all help with be appreciated.

RalphP
11-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Diff cover - we have them around in the yards here in Shreveport / Bossier City LA, so I'd check the U-Pull-Its.

Also, ask in the "Wanted" forum here.

How far up is the hole?

Things to watch for - Well, since you have to remove the rear diff bracket to remove the cover, don't try this on ramps ...put it up on jackstands or a lift.

And take the load off the tires when you do! (Jackstands under the spring perches should be OK with the normal spring perch - jackstand caveats)

RwP

AWD1990Tsi
11-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks, any idea how much they sell for used?

And the hole is a little bit above the rear diff bracket and off to the drivers side of the car a little.

RalphP
11-03-2010, 07:13 PM
The whole pumpkin is $45 at the local U-Pull-Its.

That might be a good time to change gears, BTW - take the gear chart from the articles link ( www.sccoa.com ) and find a gear set more to your liking.

Alas, I bet the gear ratio you want will be open - and the tracloks will be the wrong gears - but hey, won't hurt to look :p

RwP

Mike8675309
11-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Assuming corrosion was not the cause, it may be that the cover fractured from stress. Not an unusual occurrence on these cars, especially if you experienced some wheel hop.

AWD1990Tsi
11-07-2010, 11:47 PM
well I took it all apart and found the culprit. It seems that whoever put the 3.55's in the car before I bought it didn't use the right bolts to mount the ring gear to the trac-lok unit. So about 5 of them fell out completely and atleast 1 shot out of the cover. The ones still left in stripped when i took them out so clearly they weren't of good quality.

I got an entire pumpkin for $100 from a local junk yard only problem is that it's an open diff instead of the trac-lok and some of the holes on my old one are a little screwed up from the bolts coming out of it. So my question now is, can I still use my old trac-lok since the bolt heads would still more than cover the holes even though some of them got somewhat messed up?

I'm just not trying to have a 1-tire fire SC through winter this year.

Thanks all

RalphP
11-08-2010, 12:09 AM
It's a crying shame you're not down here.

$45 a pumpkin for the IRS machines, no matter what ratio or TL/open - or even aluminum/steel!

(Don't remember any 3.55 TLs, but still ... )

RwP

AWD1990Tsi
11-08-2010, 12:19 AM
the 3.55 was aftermarket but I didn't want it to begin with I wanted a 3.27 or maybe a 3.08 because I do quite a bit of highway driving and I have a 5-speed SC.

But I know I wish I could have found one that cheap. $100 was as low as it got around here, all the other places were between $250 and $475 for a used one.

But I'm okay with this one being an open diff and all, I just want to use my old TL in it. I'm just happy I managed to find one for a price I could afford, with a gear ratio I'd rather have and it still had abs and all that.