Bogging down at high rev

Drummer

Coming home from work today I decided to give my SC a little red light happy time. Didn't rev it up really, just went ahead smooth at first then floored it and ran through gears to second. The car shuttered and lost power a bit until I got into 3rd. I throttled down on it again and it did it again at the high end of the rpm range for third. Almost acts like it has a governor on it. Ideas?

plug wires. :)

even if they are new or look new. replace them to be sure. i chased this issue with every other fix in the book to no avail until i replaced my plug wires.

you dont need to replace them...just check their ohms...does it do it in every gear? is the bogging violent?

I'm thinking fuel related cause plugs and wires will show weakness at low RPMs too

Is this a new behavior or is this the first time you've ever driven the car like this? When was the last time it didn't behave like this?

Possible issues:
Low fuel pressure - (dirty fuel filter)
Vac Leak - (boost blowing out a leak)
ignition problem - (bad plug wires, bad plugs, excessive plug gap)

Is this a new behavior or is this the first time you've ever driven the car like this? When was the last time it didn't behave like this?

Possible issues:
Low fuel pressure - (dirty fuel filter)
Vac Leak - (boost blowing out a leak)
ignition problem - (bad plug wires, bad plugs, excessive plug gap)
New behavior. Just replaced the oil pan and replaced the plugs and both valve cover gaskets. Also did the motor mounts. I suppose I should have replaced the wires also. I hate buying parts because I think I know what it is. Plug wires (Motorcraft) is what I might do next.

Make sure your plug wires are fully seated on the spark plugs. Years ago I had the same issue after replacing headgaskets. Found the Magnacore plug wire wasn't fully seated. The engine would only stumble under high load.

I had the same problem a few months back and it was a bad coilpack. Only did it on heavy load in higher gears. Rpms did not fluctuate other then the fact that it felt like a sharp misfire so the car stumbled. Its seems to be getting worse before I replaced the coilpack. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116490

Maybe that will help.

Chris

Last edited:
I had the same problem a few months back and it was a bad coilpack. Only did it on heavy load in higher gears. Rpms did not fluctuate other then the fact that it felt like a sharp misfire so the car stumbled. Its seems to be getting worse before I replaced the coilpack. http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116490

Maybe that will help.

Chris
I think I am going to replace the original wires and the coil pack both. These are both original parts from DOB. Should I get the accell pack or the OEM pack?

Fuel filter is inline under the back side of the passenger side door. The in line is a simple remove clip and pull off. I would put a white pan or a pan with a white towel in it and pull the in line off. Catch the gas coming out of the filter on the towel. If its mud or rust colored, replace it. In my experience, thats when they are nearly clogged. It's cheap anyway. If you haven't replaced it yet, i would.

Fuel filter is inline under the back side of the passenger side door. The in line is a simple remove clip and pull off. I would put a white pan or a pan with a white towel in it and pull the in line off. Catch the gas coming out of the filter on the towel. If its mud or rust colored, replace it. In my experience, thats when they are nearly clogged. It's cheap anyway. If you haven't replaced it yet, i would.
It's been there since 1989 so I think now would be a good time. Whats in the fuel tank? ANything?

Back