Help finding Fuel Tank Straps

DBs955spd

Hello, I just purchased a 95 5spd, my mechanic says that the straps that hold the fuel tank up and I guess theres a metal shield there as well are rotten and need to be replaced. He says the Ford Dealer is saying the parts are obsolete, does anyone know where I can find some?

Try

Go to Want To Buy section and post there what you need, or go to local junk yard and see if another 95 Thunderbird, either LX or SC is there and see if they are any better looking and pull them.

I don't have any extras or I would let you know.

Smitty

Or you can go to the Home Depot and buy some metal and take it to someone with a press brake.

Not sure if the straps on early model are the same or not because of the different fuel tanks, but a 94-95 T-Bird will work for sure.

Smitty

i would think 92-95 at least because the tanks are the same. only 89-91 had the crap style tank;)

Or you can go to the Home Depot and buy some metal and take it to someone with a press brake.
Or go to home depot, buy some air conditioning straps and do some problem solving with a drill, some screws, and bailing wire. I keep scraps of soft metal such a roofing drip rail, bracket steel, sheet metal, etc from everything for just such purposes. Its what holds my door panels together and keeps them looking new and operating correctly on all of my flock. :eek:

89-91 straps are the same for all birds and cougars
92-95 straps are the same for all birds and cougars
not sure on the 96-97

So ANY junkyard will have them.

I also saw someone above said to send them a PM

Not so sure about that. Only the drivers side is independent. The passengers side strap is clinched locked ( mechanically fastened ) to the metal cover and holds it in place. The metal gas tank shield is made in three pieces. ( if I remember correctly ) The drivers side, the passengers side, and the semi circular piece that goes above the axel. The passengers side strap runs between the semi circular piece and the passengers section piece, and is all clinched locked together which helps hold the cover together. You have to drill out the clinch locks at each end of the semi circular section ( it runs on top of the tank as well ) to get the metal cover to drop down. It's a lot of work to do it right. Plus dropping the tank to get at it.

Back