puzzled?

mmathews

i have a 94 stock sc. car starts and runs great except for at certain times. once the temp gauge begins to rise the cel comes on. after its to operating temperature, when i shut it down then restart it, it idles rough. hit the gas and its smooth. i was wondering if the fuel pump could warm up? it seems to help, but could be me, if i stop and put gas in it. or, could it be the ect sensor? also, and maybe not even related, my tach does some strange stuff. it is never accurate. maybe the car is running at 900 rpms and the tach says 2500. clearly its not at 2500 rpms. i hit the gas, tach goes to 0 instantly. could it be a cam sensor? ok, 2 more things ;) in drive or reverse at a stop the car shutters. sometimes it doesnt, sometimes it does. depends on the load. i replaced the tranny mount and the engine mounts are in my trunk waiting for motivation. does it sound like an engine mount issue? and lastly, when i put my key in and turn it foreward, my interior light flashes and my power locks cycle lock/ unlock 3 times. i owned a 91 a long time ago and it didnt do that. doesnt seem normal. and if i hit my wiper wash, it does it again. just once. sometimes, for no reason just does a lock/ unlock cycle. i purchased the car from a guy that loved duct tape. been making the car "safe" for about a month now. any help would be great!

the first issue you have seems like a cam sensor, i had a hot start issue and that fixed it.

second issue seems like it could be the mounts like you suspect.

last, sounds like a short somewhere. my 94 had an issue with the locks acting goofy and it turned out to be the underhood light harness was pinched and shorting out.

Cool. Thanks! Would the cam sensor distupt the tach? Or is it the crank sensor? And where is the cam sensor?

The tach is always crazy. I got several codes. 1 was dis module. 214 maybe. One was the bap. I can post them all when i get home

the initial code is 111 which is ok. the only stored code i get from KOEO is 214. distributorless ignition system cylinder identification circuit failure. i dont know what that even means :rolleyes: would heat affect dis module or just the coil pack? i tested the resistance in the coil pack cold and they were all the same. and here is something i found under some more tape. the harness to the coil pack has some rtv over the top. maybe it was tampered with. and there's a resistor mounted through one of the coil packs bolts. i dont know what that is for either but the wire was cut and put back together via a wingnut, rtv and some duct tape.

the initial code is 111 which is ok. the only stored code i get from KOEO is 214. distributorless ignition system cylinder identification circuit failure. i dont know what that even means :rolleyes: would heat affect dis module or just the coil pack? i tested the resistance in the coil pack cold and they were all the same. and here is something i found under some more tape. the harness to the coil pack has some rtv over the top. maybe it was tampered with. and there's a resistor mounted through one of the coil packs bolts. i dont know what that is for either but the wire was cut and put back together via a wingnut, rtv and some duct tape.

Code 214 is the Cam Position sensor, I had the same code and similar problems with erratic tach and running like crap. Changing the sensor fixed it.

David

What is your battery voltage? Are the batt terminals clean? That maybe your problem with the locks.

thats an intersting thought. its a brand new battery. its above 12v. the car had a dead battery so i kept an eye on it to make sure it wasn't a charge issue. anyway, could it be a bad ground? sometimes the clock and stereo reset. like when you disconnect the battery. i stripped a new section of wire on the ground and reattatched it to the terminal clamp at the battery. is there a ground that would be associated with those items but not the ignition? like an accessory ground? wipers, stereo, locks, windows, dome light, clock. those are the items i know are affected.

i replaced the cam position sensor. runs better and check engine light is now off. tach is still screwed up.

thanks for all the help so far!

Back