Anyone Know if rear window mouding is available?

shotbirdsc

I wondered if anyone knows if you can still get the rear window bottom moulding assembly part #424A00 from Ford and any idea on cost? The one that the bottom of the rear window meets the trunk.
Thanks

i was looking for one of those last year and the ford dealership wanted $38 (approx) for one and i decided to look elsewhere, i posted an ad here and on tccoa and found someone selling a used one that was never installed on his car (ins co bought him one when he was rear ended but his other one popped back into shape after the body work was done) i picked it up for like $20 shipped. so id look for a used one in good shape, but new ones are still available i think.

Originally posted by shotbirdsc
I wondered if anyone knows if you can still get the rear window bottom moulding assembly part #424A00 from Ford and any idea on cost? The one that the bottom of the rear window meets the trunk.
Thanks

Just curious, what's wrong with yours? If it's dents/scratches just get one off of any other Thunderbird (doesn't have to be SC) and paint it.

'bird

he probably has what most of us get, sun delamination and peeling and the like, which i suppose you could strip and repaint it, but it just be so much more convenient to spend $15-$30 on a new or better one

My bad, didn't spot the $38 dealer item in your first post. My luck, I'd get one and then the rest of it would look like $#!+ compared to the new piece. In my case it's probably better for me to do both the top & bottom strips.
Funny you should mention stripping... :)

'bird

Yes, you can still get them from Ford parts; I did. IMO you should replace it all at the same time. Top, bottom, L and R. I replaced just one first; then the rest looked bad in comparison and I had to order the rest and wait. The total for all 4 pieces was around 150 bucks.

These top and bottom trim items are not painted, they are covered with a rubberized compound that does provide a little seal at the rear glass. They are aluminum underneath and could be stipped and painted, but I am not sure they would look as good as the stock rubberized parts. They are also very easy to bend and deform!

I'm sure Ford will obsolete these parts on us one day, so we may need to look for a restoration service that can re-apply the rubber compound. I would suggest using some sort of good UV rubber protectant on your cars to keep these parts looking good for as long as possible.

TRY THIS..

WHAT I DID WAS TOOK ALL THREE PIECES OFF(1 FRONT AND BOTH REARS) AND HAD THEM STRIPPED AND POWDER COATED,I DON'T HAVE ANY PICS AS OF YET BUT I WILL TRY TO GET SOME FROM YOU GUYS.THEY LOOK GREAT AND THE THING ABOUT IT IS IF YOU WANTED TO YOU COULD GET THESE DONE IN DIFFERENT COLORS,AND IT WILL LAST LONGER THAN PAINT.I THINK I PAID 100.00 TO GET ALL THREE PIECES DONE.BUT THEY STRIPPED THEM AND THEN COATED THEM.
GOOD LUCK

Ordered new one today!

I called up Ford this afternoon and will have my new one in the morning $58 Cnd. The rest of the moudings on the car are like new and just this one is peeling everywhere? I was thinking about stripping it and painting it but I think even after I finished it I wouldn't be happy and end up buying it anyways. So I guess I just saved myself some work!:D

Back