PDA

View Full Version : Fuel and spark but no start

Jake
11-06-2010, 05:59 PM
History on the car, its a 93 5 speed. I bought it several months ago from a guy in town when I noticed it had a broken harmonic balancer. He said it quit running one day and he never bothered to get it fixed and that was 4 years ago. So I put a BHJ sfi on it, new crank sensor, drained all the gas I could, put my old 255lph holley fuel pump on it and drove it home. On my home (13 miles) a lifter collapsed and a push rod became bent. As I was pulling in the driveway it stalled, figured that out to be a clogged fuel filter. I replaced all the lifters, push rods, plugs, wires and noticed I didn't have any oil pressure so I changed the oil sending unit and problem fixed. I ran the codes and changed the ACT sensor which the codes indicated was bad. I went to start it and gas started leaking from the fuel rail so I went back into it and found out that I had one injector not seated correctly. Fixed that and put it back together and now it won't run at all. I am getting 40 psi at the rail and it leaks down about 5 psi over 20 minutes. With just turning the key on I only have 15-20 psi at rail. I have spark but not any oil pressure now. Kinda lost could use some help on what to check. Forgot- also replaced cam sensor.

91BLOWNBIRD
11-06-2010, 06:58 PM
pretty sure you wont see oil pressure until engine fires and it sounds like a fuel related issue...either at the pump or a leaky injector?

you said 40psi at rail...then key on it drops to 15-20psi?

just my thoughts

Jake
11-06-2010, 07:00 PM
with key on i have 15-20 psi at rail then cranking it has 40psi. I'll try to change out the fuel pump tomorrow then. How would I know if the FPR was bad?

Payton
11-06-2010, 08:26 PM
It's called Karma:rolleyes:

91BLOWNBIRD
11-07-2010, 12:33 AM
what does it sound like when cranking over? you know you are getting spark to plugs? crank and cam sensors are ok? I had a bad cam sensor even though it was new and it would just crank and crank and i'd have to let it sit for like 30 mins before I could start it again

Mike8675309
11-07-2010, 01:18 PM
note.. I haven't seen where you have confirmed you have spark.

Jake
11-07-2010, 05:29 PM
note.. I haven't seen where you have confirmed you have spark.

I pulled the #6 spark plug and checked it so I know i have spark there but I don't think my injectors are releasing fuel. I pulled 2 spark plugs after trying to start it and the plugs were dry. I looked at the hb and I didn't see any wobble but a friend of mine says he sees it, if there is any wobble it is only about 1/8 inch. Since BHJ cannot seem to build the harmonic balancer correct I had to add 3 washers to each bolt holding it to the pulley. I probably should have drilled it like everybody else.

Flip
11-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Since BHJ cannot seem to build the harmonic balancer correct I had to add 3 washers to each bolt holding it to the pulley. I probably should have drilled it like everybody else.

wow, my 93 bolted right up the the bhj. What problem is out there?

the-big-e
11-07-2010, 06:07 PM
If the plugs are dry, then it has to be a fuel delivery problem....

Something isn't telling the injectors to spray....

Mike8675309
11-07-2010, 07:03 PM
. Since BHJ cannot seem to build the harmonic balancer correct I had to add 3 washers to each bolt holding it to the pulley. I probably should have drilled it like everybody else.

That seems like a red flag. You know the bolt holes are offset on the balancer so that the pulley can go on only one way do you not?

Jake
11-07-2010, 07:23 PM
wow, my 93 bolted right up the the bhj. What problem is out there?

this thread adresses the issues I had with the balancer.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115844&highlight=bhj+balancer

Jake
11-07-2010, 07:27 PM
That seems like a red flag. You know the bolt holes are offset on the balancer so that the pulley can go on only one way do you not?

Normal BHJ's do not have this issue. It is of some concern though, because when you enlarge or elongate the holes to make it fit, you are then playing with ignition timing. This can have unintended consequences. When building an engine it is not a big deal because I index the damper before installing the heads, but for someone just replacing the balancer, your timing could end up being off with no way to correct it.

I was just wondering if this is an ongoing issue or an isolated incident. If you have one of these balancers and had issues with fitment, it would be good to contact BHJ and let them know - give them the serial # so they can trace the problem down.
Instead of drilling the holes to make them longer I just added washers to make up trhe difference. Yes I'm aware of the offset on the balancer.

Jake
11-24-2010, 11:27 AM
update on the SC, still won't start. I have spark and fuel to the rail but the injectors are not opening for some reason. I've replaced the eec, ignition switch, cam sensor, crank sensor and disconnected the tps sensor, I bought a multimeter but cant understand the functions. Any advice as to where to look, check or test?

wterry
11-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Make sure to check all your grounds, I have seen this on a mustang a buddy had and it was a bad ground for the EEC / Injector harness, just a suggestion.

Jake
11-24-2010, 01:34 PM
does anyone know where all the grounds for a 93 are located?

Superloop
11-24-2010, 02:00 PM
so if it was running before you worked on it that tells me must be something you did.....I would check everything that you messed with...balancer sounds like the problem to me

Jake
11-24-2010, 02:46 PM
so if it was running before you worked on it that tells me must be something you did.....I would check everything that you messed with...balancer sounds like the problem to me

could the balancer stop the injectors from spraying? The plugs are not getting wet at all.

Mike8675309
11-24-2010, 03:17 PM
could the balancer stop the injectors from spraying? The plugs are not getting wet at all.

The EEC will not fire the injectors or ignition if the crank sensor is not getting a proper signal.

Motohead
11-25-2010, 04:45 PM

Dose your up-shift light come on wile cranking? If so thatís an indication of bad crank sensor. If your balancer isnít on correct it may have taken out the new sensor

Jake
11-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Dose your up-shift light come on wile cranking? If so thatís an indication of bad crank sensor. If your balancer isnít on correct it may have taken out the new sensor

No it doesn't. I took the belts off the HB and it had a slight wobble to it, less than a 1/4 inch so I took it off. I'm mailing it back to BHJ. I'm not paying $400 for a part that had 2 different design flaws. Going to get the non sfi unit.

mywhite89
11-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Did you install The pick-up sensor bracket to the new balancer and align the crank sensor properly to it? Just the obvious.

If you remove the connector on an easy to get to injector, connect a lead to each side of the pigtail connector and make sure when your cranking that you see voltage. You should see between 1-5volts. Not sure how much you will see when cranking but you should see something. If you see nothing, then you definitely have a power supply or ground problem. In a nut shell this means you have a wiring problem or a sensor problem. Check back with us after you test

Chris

P.S. quit removing stuff, find the problem then start removing things! Takes three things to run an engine, spark, fuel, and compression. Spark and fuel require timing! Good luck